Terminal Block Rating

philm01

Joined Mar 22, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding the rating on terminal blocks. I am going to have a line with High voltage (2 KV Max) and low current 100 mA max. However, on digikey, the terminal blocks are rated for 600 V at 20 A. My question is this, since my power is much lower then what the terminals can handle, can I still use them or should I look at a different solution?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No. Can't cheat on voltage. Must find 2000 volt rated method.

Can't find a 2000 volt connector? I just use 5000 volt, fine stranded, test lead wire and run it out of the box with a squeeze type plastic strain relief gizmo.

Last edited:

philm01

Joined Mar 22, 2014
Darn. I need a connector for board to wire connections and wire to wire connections. Although, having them all board to wire isn't a bad idea. Either way. I have been looking on digikey and come up very short. Any ideas where I can get one?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A few minutes on www.mouser.com comes up with a maximum of 750 volts. This level of quality just isn't hobby stuff. That is probably why I failed when I needed it and just went with the 5KV test lead wire.

Anybody else?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The contact is rated for the current, the insulation around the contact is rated for the voltage. You could use a simple connector like a banana plug and mount it in fiberglass or some other insulator.

subtech

Joined Nov 21, 2006
I doubt you will find anything @ Digi-key rated above 600V.
Once you get to 1KV and above, you will likely have to deal with the medium/high voltage folks.
Have you looked/searched for GE or ABB products?

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
You would need power distribution blocks which you probably cant order in small quantities and I'm not sure how much they cost.