Terahertz scanner: does it work?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sanbeam667, May 22, 2017.

1. sanbeam667

Thread Starter New Member

May 22, 2017
    Hello everyone!

Maybe someone good at this topic or met this problem before, because I was really confused reading about this
    http://www.tera-sense.com
    Can someone tell me: does it actually work? And how terahertz radiation can influence on the human body, considering that THz waves passing through variety of things, such as plastics, ceramics, composites etc.? Thanks in advance!

I'd like to assemble such one in my institute's laboratory, so it's an interesting issue for me, will it work effectively?

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What are you confused about?
    Why do you mean "work"?
    Terrahertz radiation is just electromagnetic radiation that's higher than microwave frequencies and below light frequencies.

It is not damaging to the human body.
    From Wikipedia:
    "Unlike X-rays, terahertz radiation is not ionizing radiation and its low photon energies in general do not damage tissues and DNA. Some frequencies of terahertz radiation can penetrate several millimeters of tissue with low water content (e.g., fatty tissue) and reflect back. Terahertz radiation can also detect differences in water content and density of a tissue. Such methods could allow effective detection of epithelial cancer with an imaging system that is safe, non-invasive, and painless."

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Good stuff! Several of us are over 60 years old and a quick scan with a wand-like device could check all those strange spots that seem to magically appear on long exposed skin. (little brown spots, slight thickening in small spots, extra smooth spots, darker than they used to be freckles, and rarely, a baby melanoma)

4. Suriyel

Jul 13, 2017
    You mean THz detector? Use thermal detectors can detect such signal.
    Book:Yun-Shik_Lee_Principles_of_Terahertz_Science_
    Chapter 4.9 is talking about THz detection.
    Chapter 6 is about Time-domain THz absorption and phase through different materials.