Temperature Effects

irsarasheed

Joined Dec 24, 2019
Can anyone help me that how can I determine the effect of temperature on an electronic circuit e.g; at 150 degree celsius. I know about simulation software like MULTISIM temperature sweep analysis, but that is not sufficient. Because it only considers temperature coefficient for resistors. How to consider combined effect for capacitors, amplifiers and transistors also? any software or method suggestions please???

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can anyone help me that how can I determine the effect of temperature on an electronic circuit e.g; at 150 degree celsius. I know about simulation software like MULTISIM temperature sweep analysis, but that is not sufficient. Because it only considers temperature coefficient for resistors. How to consider combined effect for capacitors, amplifiers and transistors also? any software or method suggestions please???
If it's important, I'd suggest actual testing. Simulators are great for some things, but predicting real-world failure rates is not one of those things. You may well uncover a failure mode that no one thought of, and therefore did not model.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Most solid-state devices are rated only to a maximum of 125°C junction temperature, so likely would not work well at 150°C ambient.
As wayneh, said testing of the actual circuit is the only way to determine how (if) it works at that temperature.
Where do you expect to see a150°C ambient?

There are some silicon carbide devices that work at a higher temperature so you might look at those.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If it's important, I'd suggest actual testing. Simulators are great for some things, but predicting real-world failure rates is not one of those things. You may well uncover a failure mode that no one thought of, and therefore did not model.
That's how we tested. We put things in an oven allowed them to soak until the device under test reached a temperature and then we ran it collecting data. When the test involved any vibration testing we called it Shake & Bake. :)

Ron