"taser" - generating high voltage in a small size. What is the best approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinker95

Joined May 15, 2017
I am trying to make a taser that functions similarly to a commercial model. This is for my personal curiosity and research: there is not malicious intent. I have thought of two approaches:
- generating an ac signal and using it to drive a series LC circuit with a very high Q factor at resonant frequency. With the high Q factor, the voltage across the inductor would be quite high. The inductor in this LC circuit would actually be one coil of a transformer - thus the voltage would be stepped up again.
OR...
- simply switching on/off an inductor (again, half a transformer) and capacitor in parallel quickly - producing high voltage on the other transformer coil. Like in this electroboom article: http://www.electroboom.com/?p=484

What would be the best approach? I have only completed 1 year of university so far, so I really only have intro classes under my belt. Thus, I am wondering if these two approaches are really the same? Is the second one just a parallel LC circuit? Thank you.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you read the User Agreement ?

1. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
    • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.
Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.