Tales from the grill...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don't mean to brag ... but I've become quite the expert at this veggie-covered ribs grilling technique ... :cool:

1a52d003-6357-4038-be99-160b1768ce31.jpg

9a729105-30a4-4022-8dcb-9d3d215776ab.jpg
This was a 5 hour cooking process, btb...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I don't mean to brag ... but I've become quite the expert at this veggie-covered ribs grilling technique ... :cool:

This was a 5 hour cooking process, btb...
Just noticing, the cactus is on bottom, be interesting to make a salsa out of it, or put some citrus, salsa like jalapeno pineapple atop individual pieces.

I’m definitely following this method.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Just noticing, the cactus is on bottom, be interesting to make a salsa out of it, or put some citrus, salsa like jalapeno pineapple atop individual pieces.

I’m definitely following this method.

kv
Oh yeah, I've done that already. I never throw away the cactus unless it's completely charred. Although I usually eat it in slices with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of salt. Never tried with pineapple, though.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yeah ... and now that you mention it, maybe it's time I move forward and look for something new to sacrifice atop the charcoal altar ... :)
My son is a bar-b-que guru. I like to believe he gets it from me. Seriously he goes overboard. Saw the kids a week ago and will see them again this weekend. Two grandkids graduating this year. So Michael calls and says come over as he and the neighbors are cooking. OK, wife and I are down in Columbus from Cleveland, Ohio. We head over. My current grill is a Webber Kettle and when I wear one out I just get another. Not my son, the kid has two of those Trager grills one small and one large. His cell phone tells him everything going on inside. You need this why? They use an auger to move wood pellets. They send you a test if pellets are low. They send the temperatures then too for what they cost they should serve the food. :)

I have noticed that practice does make for better and better results. I worked for a few months several years ago making beef briskets, smoking and slow low cooking. Everything from beef prep to getting my sauce where I wanted it. Never needed a grill that would send me text. Go figure. :)

Your stuff is always photographed well and looks mouth watering. Bummer, no cactus leaves up my way. :(

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Word of advice.

Down here cactus leaves are extremely cheap, and that's because they're everywhere. Up where you are, not so much.

So if you ever find them, don't use them the way I did (as heat shields to protect the meat), but instead grill them to an almost crisp and then cut them into slices, seasoning with lime and salt to taste. I like them burnt dark-green on the outside, while still a little green on the inside.

To protect the meat at the base of the grill, use thick slices of large onions instead. I'm sure it'll be more affordable to you. And perhaps even tastier.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Word of advice.

Down here cactus leaves are extremely cheap, and that's because they're everywhere. Up where you are, not so much.

So if you ever find them, don't use them the way I did (as heat shields to protect the meat), but instead grill them to an almost crisp and then cut them into slices, seasoning with lime and salt to taste. I like them burnt dark-green on the outside, while still a little green on the inside.

To protect the meat at the base of the grill, use thick slices of large onions instead. I'm sure it'll be more affordable to you. And perhaps even tastier.
Many thanks for that tip. When doing corn on the cob I use a garden hose to force water into my corn leaves, soak overnight and then grill them with husk on. Still plan to look for cactus just to try it and of course eat it. :)

Thanks
Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Up here, it's the cactus we gringos call Prickly Pear. Roast it fast over a fire to burn the damn thorns off or use a propane torch. Those things will go through a leather boot and like porcupine quills, they are barbed and don't back out so be careful! I doubt it grows much above the Mason Dixon line but is fairly common in FL and Coastal GA. I don't have any on my property but I know where it is in abundance. Also makes for great pickles!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Roast it fast over a fire to burn the damn thorns off or use a propane torch.
That means you've been eating the wrong kind of leaf. Down here we cut the leaves off before the thorns harden (they're small and soft). AAMOF we call them "baby leaves". In fact, the grown leaf is much tougher to eat than the baby one. Its proto-thorns are easily removed from the leaf using a knife.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One thing I have always used to enjoy was pork buttons, not to be confused with rib-ends, These button ribs consist of the last four to six bones on the backbone and not really connected to the ribs at all.
Usually much tender than back ribs and a lot of meat.
At one time you could get them at most butchers, now becoming very rare, I was told by one butcher they are usually found to fiddley and not worth the effort! o_O

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015