Tales from the grill...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've been perfecting my technique of using veggies to protect the meat while it's been BBQed.

The last time I did it, I noticed that the upper layer of meat always came out a little drier than the one below it. An obvious phenomena, I know. But it's something that's been on my mind all this time trying to figure out how to fix, or at least improve. Last time I did this, I sprayed the upper layer with a little extra virgin olive oil. And although it did work in the sense of it protecting the meat's moisture, it changed its texture in such way that it didn't improve its flavor either.

So this time I thought, if the lower side of the meat (Rib-Eye Ribs, in this case) is being protected from direct heat by a layer of cactus leaves, why not do the same thing for the upper layer? ... And so I devised a "cactus blanket" of sorts by taking several leaves, and scored them with a knife in a squared pattern so as to allow them to sag as much as possible. Then I simply laid them on top of the meat. Since this was the first time I tried this technique, I didn't do things as thoroughly and carefully as I normally do, and left a little of the meat exposed. This would also allow me to compare the texture of the meat protected by the leaves versus the meat that was left exposed.

The result was a complete triumph. The meat came out not only with the perfect tender and off-the-bone texture, but also with a delicious smoky flavor combined with the taste of the other veggies that I used as layer separators. Which were rings of white onions, and of yellow bell and poblano peppers.

I forgot to mention, I got myself a plastic spray bottle and poured some balsamic vinegar in it. Then I generously sprayed the meat with it after applying a dry rub. It gave it a delicious and unique tangy taste.

The next time I'm going to figure how to completely cover the top layer without leaving anything exposed. Because the parts that were became a little overcooked and even charred as they usually do when left unprotected.

311954cf-4e39-41de-a461-4447961667c1.jpg

1bc7bd58-ad6d-46ed-9638-1f04b7537373.jpg

79bfb6e3-cf8e-4e8d-ac84-8c670c791f72.jpg

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So, the Cactus isn’t included in the dish contents, Right? I have a cactus with all the juices and flavor thrown out or can it be a source for other uses? I’m mean soup or other. Just asking?

kv
My apologies for not answering your question earlier, Killi ... I got distracted somehow and forgot to follow through.

Yes, the cactus leaves are indeed included in the dish contents. They can be eaten almost raw. But I find that a little gross, because their juices are sort of slimy-like. Although some people actually like that.
Personally, I prefer them grilled to an almost burnt crisp. Doing that gets entirely rid of the slimy juices. Then you squeeze some lime juice on top and add salt and pepper, and slice them into thin strips.

They make not only for a delicious snack, but they are among the healthiest veggies you can eat, with the plus that they have a very high fiber content.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
My apologies for not answering your question earlier, Killi ... I got distracted somehow and forgot to follow through.

Yes, the cactus leaves are indeed included in the dish contents. They can be eaten almost raw. But I find that a little gross, because their juices are sort of slimy-like. Although some people actually like that.
Personally, I prefer them grilled to an almost burnt crisp. Doing that gets entirely rid of the slimy juices. Then you squeeze some lime juice on top and add salt and pepper, and slice them into thin stripes.

They make not only for a delicious snack, but they are among the healthiest veggies you can eat, with the plus that they have a very high fiber content.
I always look for the meatless way of obtaining substance, veggies. Cactus, who would have thought? The blanket or heat redirected so to speak, in post #1124 “The Blanket or covering” is how I will refer to it is a great idea, then if we can capture without losses substance beyond just being a blanket is a flavored veggie to be eaten for those who wish a different palatable food source, which btw as you say rich in fiber, if it’s moist will aid digestion.

I think of the stomach as “ Energy harvester” turning what is put in to it, to become energy out, as in physical, mental, biological e.g. repair, external labor output etc. More of a Mr. Fusion ( Reference to - Back to the future movie) 5 thousand years ago, we worked together to provide food sources as an emerging society in South America, Costal food sources, Fish, commerce began, now an emerging society, Farmers provide grains and other sources potatoes, as export to coastal areas and inland hunter gatherer’s transport their collective herbal medicinal or other collected wild in the Forest, building local communities designed to work together in sourcing energy rich or healing herbal flavors and other.

They learn together how to harvest energy rich food, learning to cook them in a utilitarian way, not excluding industrial methodologies to accomplish such an under taking at that time, not to be under estimated, but celebrated at the dinner table lol

And here we are salivating, drooling, as we engage in the art of cooking 5 thousand years later, all I can say is Thank you South America for offering such unique flavors and delicacies.

Where was this location 5 thousand years ago. Caral https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caral the location rivaled that of ”Egypt” or other Mesopotamian societies.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Well live and learn. I always believed it was a much bigger holiday south of the border. Wife and I celebrated with a trip to a local restaurant which while not quite as good as what I enjoyed in the US southwest has great food. I am so glad this place worked so hard to survive COVID. Having spent half my career traveling the globe I confess to being a Foodie and love Mexican Cuisine. :)

Ron