Tales from the grill...

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
So what is the consensus? No problem spending $350 USD or more but would like a good grill and prefer one I can smoke things in. I am not bidding charcoal a farewell but considering the addition of natural gas.
As Hank Hill used to say, "Taste the meat not the heat." Get a Weber -- any model will do -- and enjoy the convenience and heat control without guilt.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
As Hank Hill used to say, "Taste the meat not the heat." Get a Weber -- any model will do -- and enjoy the convenience and heat control without guilt.
That's what I have a Webber. I use them about 5 years and just get another. I'll always have charcoal but am considering adding gas.

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
That's what I have a Webber. I use them about 5 years and just get another. I'll always have charcoal but am considering adding gas.

Ron
I have radiant which has a metal divider between the gas and meat, If I want to use coal or wood I can clean it out and heat with gas. Is there another combo I’m not aware of or will you have 2 grills?

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have radiant which has a metal divider between the gas and meat, If I want to use coal or wood I can clean it out and heat with gas. Is there another combo I’m not aware of or will you have 2 grills?

kv
I would just have two grills, the Webber and whatever I get. :) Been also putting thought into a smoker. Retired I get out on my bike as I can and trips to the rifle range. Those are pretty much spring, summer and fall things to do. Winters get boring but my grill season runs from 01 January through 31 December. :) Matter of fact today is marinated chicken breast, bone in.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Never could get hard boiled eggs good. Mine are like the ones in the TV commercial that won't peel. About a dozen eggs later I have enough usable for a small egg salad sandwich.

Enjoy the new range. :)

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Never could get hard boiled eggs good.
Ron
I have found that placing in a saucepan of cold water, and start off with heat on high until water short of boiling, reduce heat and watch for the air bubbles from inside escape, (this avoids cracked eggs)
After about 2 or three minutes raise to high and boil for the rest of the time, from the first almost boil to finish = ten minutes.
Immediately place in cold water, add ice cubes.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have found that placing in a saucepan of cold water, and start off with heat on high until water short of boiling, reduce heat and watch for the air bubbles from inside escape, (this avoids cracked eggs)
After about 2 or three minutes raise to high and boil for the rest of the time, from the first almost boil to finish = ten minutes.
Immediately place in cold water, add ice cubes.
Max.
Thanks, I will try that. My wife's always come out perfect and mine are a train wreck. At least I am consistent. :)

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Here's a typical regional breakfast, prepared in the most succulent manner possible. It's called "machacado con huevo", which translates as beef jerky and eggs. Although jerky as done down here is very different from what's normally prepared in the US. It's much drier but becomes soft and tender after absorbing moisture. And it's a lot more flavorful too.

The video is in spanish, but the images speak for themselves:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
P.S. I did find a recipe on line, oddly enough it is by a Sra Martinez! :cool:.
Max.
There are many recipes out there, and in fact, also many commercial brands of "carne seca". Some have more flavor but have a tougher texture, while some are more tender but lack intensity... it's sort of a give-take kind of thing.