Tales from the grill...

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Ham is the Easter tradition in our family and for Christmas dinner also. Not many people in the southern US states eat much lamb although I do like it.
Easter when my mom was with us I would do a ham but also a butterflied leg of lamb. We kept it somewhat NY Italian. :) Man, it was wild living in Italy as all these slaughtered lambs were hanging in butcher shops. Now we generally do holidays down in Columbus, Ohio at the big house which was my moms and now is my sister Cindy's. Christmas eve the focus in on sea food and no meat but we also cheat Christmas day is of course baked lasagna and meat dishes. Last Christmas my brother started getting freaky about .my niece and her husband making themselves some roast beef sandwiches. Nothing says the Italian cult thing needs to be so strict. Hell it's about Christmas and enjoying each other,
I was not only born and raised NYC but was also Italian (mother side) and the first born Italian grandson.

Over all the years and all the travel I saw the world not only like a great dining room table but and endless experience of taste adventure. :)

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If and when life as I know it ever returns to normal I will have to give it a shot. I like dealing with a meat market which is a farm. The beef and pork I buy today was standing on the hoof yesterday. Did you trim or leave the fat side fat? I trim but leave a light layer of fat, very light. My wife makes a rub I like and I normally start the night before and first rub olive oil into the meat. Then I put on the rub and wrap tight in Saran Wrap for overnight in the fridge. Problem is the farm I mentioned is an hour drive and I am not sure what is going on out there. I should check because when I make the run I load the freezer and we are good for several months. :)

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
That looks fantastic. Have you had Texas-tyle brisket? Just wondering how you would compare the two.

Which ever is the richer mans game. I’m down for it now that I’ve done this one, saving up for a smoker then will try it again lol

Thanks for the game,

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
If and when life as I know it ever returns to normal I will have to give it a shot. I like dealing with a meat market which is a farm. The beef and pork I buy today was standing on the hoof yesterday. Did you trim or leave the fat side fat? I trim but leave a light layer of fat, very light. My wife makes a rub I like and I normally start the night before and first rub olive oil into the meat. Then I put on the rub and wrap tight in Saran Wrap for overnight in the fridge. Problem is the farm I mentioned is an hour drive and I am not sure what is going on out there. I should check because when I make the run I load the freezer and we are good for several months. :)

Ron
Good to know I didn’t read it all but, I can rub and freeze?

kv

Edit: Left the fat and then carved if off.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
@cmartinez
I was just thinking about your soup receipt and thought I would share a new one I have been playing with.
It's tortellini soup.
1588558238054.png
1 lb. ground pork
1 onion diced
2 or 4 garlic cloves diced
1 can chicken broth
1 can tomatoes diced (fresh is better)
1 1/2 cups water
1 bag baby spinach
1/2 bag frozen cheese tortellini.
1/4 tsp ground pepper
dash of salt
1/4 tsp crushed chilies.

Brown pork with pepper, salt and garlic. Drain well.
sauté onion
Put it all together in a large pan with tomatoes chicken broth crushed chilies and water. Simmer for a while.
Bring to a boil and add spinach and tortelli.

The thing that makes this soup is the crushed chilies. Not enough and it's kind of blah. To much and my wife won't eat it.
Enjoy.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
BD38A60B-B9AC-438A-85C8-AF48C1D50BCB.jpeg
Second Tri-Tip beginning the rest
9C87B0FE-1954-4147-A372-BF7897CF4677.jpeg
After

kv

Edit: On the plate couldn’t wait to eat it so, didn’t post till now, all I can say is the longer you marinade the better it taste’s, this one had some liquid added to the mix same recipe. Been sitting in the thick marinade for about 2 weeks, permeation of the meat so much flavor so good, can’t say enough for the recipe and cut.

Plated:

C40BEC48-1178-405D-987A-D438DED34E10.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ever since the lock-down started, we've been grilling dinner at my place every sunday night. Anyway, I'm one of those people who love to buy kitchen gadgets, only to store them away as soon as I get home, and then completely forget about them. In fact, I have quite a few things that I've never taken out of their boxes.
A few months ago I moved to a different house, and of course that's the perfect opportunity to do some serious clean up and get rid of old junk. Some of the gadgets I rediscovered I gave away. But some others I kept, thinking that the chance would eventually arrive when they would come in handy... and arrive it did.

Among those gadgets, was a cheap-o plastic "burger stuffer". It's quite simple, actually. One lays a layer of ground meat, and then shapes it into a cup using a special press. After that, you can stuff your hamburger with whatever ingredients your heart desires. The recipe for the meat that I followed is one that my brother in law taught me a few years ago: half a portion of ground beef, and the other half of ground pork, then one adds minced onions, cilantro and bell peppers to said mix, plus a little egg and flour to make it easier to shape. And for the stuffing I grilled red wine saute mushrooms with roasted minced garlic, and then added a generous slice of swiss cheese.

Mark my words, it's no exaggeration for me to say that was one of the best hamburgers I've ever had in my entire life. It easily qualifies among the top three.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That is so cool.
I'm one of those people who love to buy kitchen gadgets, only to store them away as soon as I get home, and then completely forget about them.
I have that problem. Last year it was the EggLets which really looked cool on TV. They are somewhere in the pantry and have yet to see an egg. I do like good burgers and even will grind my own beef mix. Also figure a good burger deserves a good roll. :)

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That is so cool.

I have that problem. Last year it was the EggLets which really looked cool on TV. They are somewhere in the pantry and have yet to see an egg. I do like good burgers and even will grind my own beef mix. Also figure a good burger deserves a good roll. :)

Ron
That would be the ultimate burger indeed ... one made with freshly baked bread ... :)

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I don't get Moose meat very often, and I was drunk the last time, and I forgot it, and I didn't burn it, but it was more like leather. I won't let that happen again.

Yep and having grown up with a fireplace and wood stoves, oh lord do I ever miss fires, fire and cooking is in our genes for sure.