Tales from the grill...

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The PI was great and loved Singapore also. On a side note Singapore was one of the few countries where I felt safe and comfortable walking through the park at 2 AM. Normally stayed at the Singapore Hilton. All sorts of good eating, like you said, all around the block at street level. Still, hard to beat the chicken or meat on a stick and an ice cold San Miguel. Well I also have a thing for good Lumpia. :)

Ron

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
It's winter time here, I wish I had cash to go grill some meat over a fire, but I spent all my money on new toys, and saving for stuff next month. Maybe next winter.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
It's winter time here, I wish I had cash to go grill some meat over a fire, but I spent all my money on new toys, and saving for stuff next month. Maybe next winter.
It's winter here in NE Ohio too. My grilling season runs from 00:00:01 1/1/2020 till 24:00:00 on 12/31/2020.

Grill Snow1.png

With some minor effort....

Grill Snow2.png

So what are you eating? You can even grill spam, Winter is no reason to not grill.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
My dad had a grill made from some scrap lightweight angle iron with some expanded metal tacked onto it. ~16"x30" Even in Maine in the middle of winter, he'd throw it over the andirons and grill in the fireplace every Saturday night. Same in Alabama in the hot summertime. Grill indoors in the AC using the fireplace. I used that thing for years before it rusted out.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My dad had a grill made from some scrap lightweight angle iron with some expanded metal tacked onto it. ~16"x30" Even in Maine in the middle of winter, he'd throw it over the andirons and grill in the fireplace every Saturday night. Same in Alabama in the hot summertime. Grill indoors in the AC using the fireplace. I used that thing for years before it rusted out.
I built a similar grill from a 300 gallon fuel oil tank. Used it for N. Carolina pig pickings. :)

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
What better way of spending this quarantine than bbqueing at home?

a774a00f-a8ee-41ae-a6bd-12d60088ca24.jpg

I've just moved to a new house, and my other two grills were falling apart from too much use... may God keep them in grill-heaven... So I bought one of those $30-bucks cheap-o micro grills:

a367ac58-bc65-4de9-8b7f-d989d760b47c.jpg

It wasn't that bad, once I learned how to use it. In fact, the results were better than ok:

739299a9-03ec-4fa7-b2da-2d5fe42dd1f2.jpg

b3db02b8-e49e-43b5-bce5-2001704c1ae3.jpg

The latter rib-eye ribs were done in the cheap-o grill, whilst the former St Louis pork ribs came out from the smoker and were later given finishing touches at the new grill.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Since retiring at the Uni I’ll save up some Vacation time at my new job, to do some fishing, I want to smoke them and bottle for storage, we have down riggers for fresh water Salmon, they were planted years ago and it’s what’s on the menu. Fish species in Utah.

https://deq.utah.gov/fish-advisories/fish-species-utah-fish-advisories

All of these qualify so limits on one doesn’t mean I have a limit on another. I might even take fly fishing up again.

kv

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Ham is the Easter tradition in our family and for Christmas dinner also. Not many people in the southern US states eat much lamb although I do like it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I built a similar grill from a 300 gallon fuel oil tank. Used it for N. Carolina pig pickings. :)

Ron
A 55 gallon steel drum is good for two large cooking grills.

We’d make a frame out of angle iron, a little larger than the drum opening. Then, lay lengths off rebar across the frame. and cover with thick screening, Finally, tack weld everything together.

Two angle irons would be welded in a cross and also attached to the drum for legs