Tales from the grill...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
My Easter roast. I forget to take pictures but my daughter snapped one. The little worm-like things are dried onions. I swear they don't look like worms in person!
View attachment 177150
Yeah, food photography is an entirely different form of art. It takes someone with unusual skills to make food look as appetizing in a picture as it does in real life.

Here's what I had for lunch yesterday, mushrooms and veggies filled green enchilladas topped with slices of onion.

upload_2019-5-11_16-7-24.png

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That looks yummy. Time to fire up the grill!
Very interesting. First time I've ever heard from her. I've just learned that she has a twitter account too. I tried to find out where she's from, but I couldn't find anything.

EDIT: Found it! ... she has a facebook page, and she's from Cambodia.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Very interesting. First time I've ever heard from her. I've just learned that she has a twitter account too. I tried to find out where she's from, but I couldn't find anything.

EDIT: Found it! ... she has a facebook page, and she's from Cambodia.
Yes, Sros means fresh in Khmer. I've a Cambodian (who was shot during the revolution, escaped and eventually made it out with most of his family to the UN refuge camp in Thailand) friend and co-worker that just loves her cooking channel.

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Those drumsticks were seasoned with dry, powdered adobo. But I bought them pre-seasoned at my local butcher. They look good because they were tumbled in a bag and not just sprinkled with the seasoning. I'm sure you could find pretty good adobo at any local ethnic store up there.

Here's a pretty good recipe for wet adobo, that could work just as well.

As for beef jerky, I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I have a decent dehydrator, but so far I've only used it for fruits and veggies. Although jerky is definitely in my to-do list. I promise I'll share my results when I finally get to it.
Hi C.
I'm stuck in a rut.
Do you have a nice soup, stew or casserole that you could share?
Not to hot. The little love dumpling doesn't do to hot. :)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hi C.
I'm stuck in a rut.
Do you have a nice soup, stew or casserole that you could share?
Not to hot. The little love dumpling doesn't do to hot. :)
Hey Ron! ... it's great to hear from you again :), anything for you, my friend.

May I suggest "Caldo Tlalpeño" ? ... it's a real tummy-warmer, and you could add a little spiciness to it using the traditional Chipotle chile, which is always served by the side. That way your significant other can season the dish to her own personal taste.

caldo-tlalpeno-cocinar-y-gozar.jpg

Here's a pretty decent recipe. To this recipe add a few slices of avocado on top after pouring it in the bowl, and also a few cubes of panela cheese. I suggest you skip the serrano peppers it mentions, though. Always serve with a slice of lime by the side, to be squeezed on top right before enjoyment. I guarantee instant gratification ... ;) Bon-appetite!

Last edited:

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Thank you wayneh for the jerky post #619. Yea I think I added just a little too much of the "This and that" if you get my drift
I'll give it a try when I go to the store and grab the meat. Now where did I put that dehydrator ?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I have come to like thai coconut based soups made with lemon grass. I am playing around making diffrrebt version now. They are all really delicious.
I have been shown some Vietnamese style cooking, I had a kid from Vietnam lived with us for around a year, very tasty. Thai is very good, put up some recipe's, I'd like to learn a good Curry rice if anyone has one. I'd like to learn your soups if you'er willing.

kv

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I have been shown some Vietnamese style cooking, I had a kid from Vietnam lived with us for around a year, very tasty. Thai is very good, put up some recipe's, I'd like to learn a good Curry rice if anyone has one. I'd like to learn your soups if you'er willing.

kv
Of course. My search fornperfect recepie continues, as i am trying to replicate a favorite of mine that is served at a vietnamese place in Vancouver Airport believe it or not...

The one I started with is this:

http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/thai-coconut-curry-soup/

I find it is quite good. I am looking forward to making it for my mom when she visits

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, food photography is an entirely different form of art. It takes someone with unusual skills to make food look as appetizing in a picture as it does in real life.
This is off topic but during the mid to late 70s I spent quite a bit of time in Japan. All the restaurants had like these models of food in window displays. They were made of some form of plastic and synthetics. These models were incredible and when your food came it looked exactly like the model in the window. It was incredible. Before I could speak any Japanese I would drag a server outside and point to what I seemed to think I wanted which they got a kick out of.

Food photography is an art in itself. I noticed early on how your images were incredibly good, good enough that before I even read what it was I wanted some of it. Every now and then I get a good picture but nothing really that good. :)

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This is off topic but during the mid to late 70s I spent quite a bit of time in Japan. All the restaurants had like these models of food in window displays. They were made of some form of plastic and synthetics. These models were incredible and when your food came it looked exactly like the model in the window. It was incredible. Before I could speak any Japanese I would drag a server outside and point to what I seemed to think I wanted which they got a kick out of.

Food photography is an art in itself. I noticed early on how your images were incredibly good, good enough that before I even read what it was I wanted some of it. Every now and then I get a good picture but nothing really that good. :)

Ron
Check this post, especially the last picture.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Now, that's what I'm talking about. I like the images which show the warm glow of the coals. Those were all good but yes, that last picture was really neat. :)

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

Ron
That's one of my biggest issues with food pics, they never look like the pics, we had a great burger joint 2 towns over off I-15. They made the burger and put it in a container so it's not smushed, if I started a burger joint that would be the first order, second would be great quality beef. That place also hired young people to cook and serve so they could earn money for their Mormon Missions, the church doesn't pay for them to go, when it closed it's doors was a sad day for customers as well as children age's 15 to 18 about to serve missions.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That's one of my biggest issues with food pics, they never look like the pics, we had a great burger joint 2 towns over off I-15. They made the burger and put it in a container so it's not smushed, if I started a burger joint that would be the first order, second would be great quality beef. That place also hired young people to cook and serve so they could earn money for their Mormon Missions, the church doesn't pay for them to go, when it closed it's doors was a sad day for customers as well as children age's 15 to 18 about to serve missions.

kv
Every now and then, with my enjoyment of food, I get on a Burger quest which is not a trip to the local Burger World, McDonalds or similar. A really good burger made with quality ground meat and medium rare. I have heard that Shula's 2 Steak & Sports (Don Shula, Miami Dolphin's former head coach). We have one local and people whose taste buds I trust have suggested it. Soon as we get some nice weather I have to maybe take a bike ride over and check it out. The place you mentioned sounds like it was a pretty good place, damn shame it closed.

Ron

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
My experience as well in the few (and short) ocassions I have ben to Japan. After tasting for the first time, I became fan of pasta mixed with vegetables. One of the few things I dare to cook myself.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
My experience as well in the few (and short) ocassions I have ben to Japan. After tasting for the first time, I became fan of pasta mixed with vegetables. One of the few things I dare to cook myself.
I recently bought a dehydrator, and ran some slices of tomato in it. It was funny to see how small they got after being processed. But boy, oh boy... they were delicious when my wife mixed them in a plate of pasta and shrimp... highly commendable :)