system for automation of custom hot rod components

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
This is for anyone out there that can direct me to a switch that will handle all of the functions required for my car. I will attempt to explain. I have a Gama RF021-901C on my custom 34 Ford show car and have used this switch for 3 years to operate (1) interior light, (2) removable top that uses 2 12v actuators to lift it from an angle thus allowing entry to the car, (3) 4 actuators to raise the hood perpendicular for engine access. The Gama switch has a reverse polarity function and activates momentarily as long as I hold the remote button down. The interior light comes on as it is wired with the top when I raise the top by holding "up" button down and the hood functions the same with no light. So I have 2 actuators going to one switch function for the top and 4 actuators going to one switch for the hood. Both top and hood must be reverse polarity and stopped from rising at a specific point for proper alignment during the lowering function. All 6 actuators are void of internal adjustable limit switches and if they were the location in the location that they are mounted will not let me to dissemble without much work. The lowering of all actuators is OK with regards to the position.

1. l need a switch to change to the latching function to eliminate the need to hold down the remote. I want to use a single multi-button remote to hit either button or both (top or hood) and raise either without having to hold down the button. I also would like a multi-system switch to allow me to activate the electric popper installed on my doors.

2. I also must have a function added to or in the switch to limit the travel in the up mode of all 6 actuators, one circuit for the two attached to the top and one circuit for the 4 attached to the hood. The down mode can function normally with the limit switches build in the actuators.

I have already tried to add a limit switch to the system and it functions for the up mode, but when the actuator stopped it obviously cut the connection and thus prevented the actuator to travel back down.

3. The electric door popper would be manually, via the remote, operated once the top has begun to open as I may not want to open the doors every time I raise the top.

Need some help on this system and would appreciate any recommendations for switches and or actuators.

Thanks in advance

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have already tried to add a limit switch to the system and it functions for the up mode, but when the actuator stopped it obviously cut the connection and thus prevented the actuator to travel back down.
Did you use a double throw limit switch, and wire it correctly? A double throw switch is needed to do something like this. A double throw switch has two sets of contacts, NO(normally open) and NC(normally closed). The NC set is use to allow movement until the NO set are made. Once the NO are closed they become the way to start the movement in the opposite direction. Like this -

upload_2018-2-16_10-27-55.png

@shortbus works well for low current motors. it's not going to address a multi-actuator high current system.

Search this forum and elsewhere for "chicken coop door", "curtain controller" or "power window wiring" for lots of information.

One of the problems with a car is quiesent current consumption or the amount of power consumed when off.

Two automotive relays, two diodes and two limit switches can be arranged such that you energize one coil for up and one for down. If both coils are off or both on, the motor brakes. Limit switch failure is a remote possibility.

You can easily take this and extend it, so that an UP and DOWN pulse is used by using a dual coil magnetic latching relay.

Look here: https://electromen.com/en/products/item/motor-controllers/dc-motor/ how a comprehensive system was designed, however, not for an automobile.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
works well for low current motors. it's not going to address a multi-actuator high current system.
I was assuming he had relays in the system. Was only addressing the limit switches. But you are right limits alone will not carry enough current. Having worked with hot rods and hot rodders over the years I guess I assume too much.

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
Did you use a double throw limit switch, and wire it correctly? A double throw switch is needed to do something like this. A double throw switch has two sets of contacts, NO(normally open) and NC(normally closed). The NC set is use to allow movement until the NO set are made. Once the NO are closed they become the way to start the movement in the opposite direction. Like this -

View attachment 146146

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
thanks for your response. I have read about a diode in conjunction with a limit switch and just made one up.. I haven't tried it yet, but my assumption is that once the upward movement of the actuator reaches the limit switch and trips it the diode will allow enough power in the reverse polarity mode to move the actuator enough to in-trip the limit switch lever and thus allowing power to flow in the downward mode. Is this a quick summary of what you are explaining to me?
thanks

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
thanks for your response. I have read about a diode in conjunction with a limit switch and just made one up.. I haven't tried it yet, but my assumption is that once the upward movement of the actuator reaches the limit switch and trips it the diode will allow enough power in the reverse polarity mode to move the actuator enough to un-trip the limit switch lever and thus allowing power to flow in the downward mode. Is this a quick summary of what you are explaining to me?
thanks

Engr Tech

Joined Jun 24, 2017
I think Automation or automatic control, is the use of many control systems for operating equipment such as heat treating ovens, switching on telephone networks etc..