House supply filtering for home automation system

Baker Steve

Joined Feb 21, 2016
I am nursing an elderly X10 system on which I am dependent for my bread business and other things. It was initially unreliable, but then became reliable when I fitted an XTBR-II X10 router/amplifier.

Just recently it has become unreliable again, with the XTBR-II indicating interference. On balance of probabilities, this is originating outside the property and being carried in on the mains connection.

Is there any component that could provide a low-pass 100A filter for UK 240v mains and be legal? I could build something, but it would be illegal to connect it to the incoming supply.

(I am stuck with X10, as Insteon seems to have departed the UK and ZWave does not work here due to thick internal granite walls.)

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
It might be a cheaper and easier option to filter each of the X10 units (taking into account the loading), especially those giving problems.

Here is a 100A mains filter from an ebay seller, but there are no specs and certainly no guarantee that it would solve your problems. Ideally it would need connection between your mains incoming 100A breaker and your consumer unit – I’d recommend you have it professionally installed for your own safety.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15598304...7nmLIKxEHu2zsq1lDSbgUPEjUPtU|tkp:BFBM6J6V7Nxj

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
I’ve just noticed that the ebay seller is selling 2 for the price of 1 – so you could wire two in series for greater filtering (for the same price).

Baker Steve

Joined Feb 21, 2016
Wow – thanks. The unit seems to be pucca and, more importantly, CE-rated. The company concerned still manufactures these, which is good news.

I will pursue. I need to be sure that it's something my electrician could install.