Swollen caps - old computer. Why so many bad caps? Computer not used in years.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
There's certainly room for larger caps. It's just that I generally like to stay with the same footprint. And if what @MrSoftware was correct, getting new 6.3V caps is bound to be better than the rash of bad caps they had 17 years ago. Geez! It's been that long already?!

And even if I don't get this computer up and running I still have the hard drives. I may put them in my ASUS frame. It would mean parking my Windows 10, but I wouldn't mind that very much. The only thing I'd have to be sure to do is to shut off the WiFi. I don't have protection for XP. The older computer hasn't been connected to the internet in many years.

HMMMmmmmm. Wondering if I can build a box to hous removable drives. Then I can plug the Win10 in when I want and the XP when needed. Assuming the Hantek will operate in the XP environment. Like I said, I think it did before.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I remember one of the products i fixed i could not get the exact ca size i had to get caps that were slightly larger. There was not that much difference though maybe 1/16 of an inch so i was able to squeeze them in. A couple stood taller, but not by that much so they did fit.
A few careful measurements with a caliper will tell you if they will fit or not before you buy them.