Swollen batteries

varden

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Hi. Actually I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right section. Anyways..
I bought rechargeable AA batteries and after recharging I noticed they are swollen. Actually batteries didnt swollen but their plastic covers swelled. It is like partial allergy bubles under skin. They turned back to normal after couple hours.
I used them before charging and used orginal charger. Amper and time were right just like written on the box. Is it safe to use those batteries? Should I give them back or continue to use? I tried to look on the internet but couldn't find same issue similar to mine.
Oh and I tried to take picture but my camera is dud, nothing seems in the photos.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
We can't comment without some pictures.......and more info on batteries and charger......again.....the details make the right answers here.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Yes ...we need more details .... but generally an AA cell is never un-safe ... your life is not at risk ... the worst that can happen is it will leak nasty chemicals in the electronic device it's used in ( normal practice with alkaline) ...

If it works , use it.

Your grandfather used to wrestle bears in the woods ! Don't be intimidated by an AA cell.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi. Actually I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right section. Anyways..
I bought rechargeable AA batteries and after recharging I noticed they are swollen. Actually batteries didnt swollen but their plastic covers swelled. It is like partial allergy bubles under skin. They turned back to normal after couple hours.
I used them before charging and used orginal charger. Amper and time were right just like written on the box. Is it safe to use those batteries? Should I give them back or continue to use? I tried to look on the internet but couldn't find same issue similar to mine.
Oh and I tried to take picture but my camera is dud, nothing seems in the photos.
What chemistry? Some better nickel chemistry chargers detect the end of charge tempco voltage drop. its the point where the energy you're putting in starts turning to heat instead of chemical conversion. The voltage change is more subtle with Ni-Mh cells. so a charger set for Ni-Cd might miss it and cook the cells. Its not a great idea to continue using cells with visible signs of degradation.

With any kind of lithium cell - drop them in the recycling tub and burn down the supermarket instead of your house.

varden

Joined Jul 11, 2016
DSC_0375.JPGThese are the batteries. They returned to normal and they work. After using and draining them I will test again and if they swell again, I'll take a photo. Swelling part is green cover not the general structure of battery. And in any case, I will recharge them in balcony and in a metal box just in case1557511974041464190164117486342.jpg

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
View attachment 177044These are the batteries. They returned to normal and they work. After using and draining them I will test again and if they swell again, I'll take a photo. Swelling part is green cover not the general structure of battery. And in any case, I will recharge them in balcony and in a metal box just in caseView attachment 177045
It doesn't sound right to me - take them back to the store and explain that you think you might've got a bad batch or something.

Never had any problem with GP cells, wasn't impressed with the charger - but can't remember why.

The charger looks Ni-Mh only - so the problem I suggested shouldn't happen. It could be a dumb charger and you're leaving the cells charging too long. The discount store stuff tends to have at least a shut off timer.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you buy the charger together with the batteries?
There are two charging current values on the charger.
The 120 mA is likely for the AAA cella and the 300 ma for the AA cells.
It looks like it is pushing 300 mA.
On the battery is given a standard charging of 100 mA during 16 hours.
Is there an indicator on the charger that shows that the charging has completed?
If not, it is a dumb charger and you will have the batteries in to long.

Bertus

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello,

Did you buy the charger together with the batteries?
There are two charging current values on the charger.
The 120 mA is likely for the AAA cella and the 300 ma for the AA cells.
It looks like it is pushing 300 mA.
On the battery is given a standard charging of 100 mA during 16 hours.
Is there an indicator on the charger that shows that the charging has completed?
If not, it is a dumb charger and you will have the batteries in to long.

None of the photos seem to make a selector switch obvious - most chargers have multiple contacts at one end and AAA cells drop in further to fit the lower current set.
Bertus

varden

Joined Jul 11, 2016
The charger came with batteries. There is a light on charger which blinks during charge. It says blinking will stop after charging done, but after 12 hours(box says 16 hours) I took them off because they were swollen like there are air bubles under green cover. Actually you are right, I will take them back to the store. It is a big store, so I don't think there will be a problem. I just wanted to have a nostalgia with my old gameboy but I guess I will use regular batteries :D