Switching circuit for switched reluctance motor

nothing909

Joined Nov 5, 2016
As a project I have to design a switching circuit for a switched reluctance motor. I've picked all the components I need and I've tried to design the circuit.

Open collector - 74LS06N
Optocoupler - TLP 251
IGBT - stgp6nc60hd

Does the circuit look okay and will it work or are there any additions to be made?
Also, is the current limiting resistor I calculated correct for that optocoupler?
Please don't suggest any improvements, I just want to know if that design will work.

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It may work if the motor requires only a very low current and you get an IGBT with a threshold voltage at the lower end of the possible range. That range goes up to 5.75V so there really isn't sufficient voltage available to drive the gate.
upload_2017-1-10_22-10-2.png

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Feed the optocoupler output from the 18V supply (the IGBT is rated up to 20V and the optocoupler up to 24V). Also note the the optocoupler output side has three connections: power, ground and output. You will also need a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor across the coupler power pins.

nothing909

Joined Nov 5, 2016
I'm actually quite new to all this so I'm sorry if I don't pick up on everything you say.

Instead of using an IGBT could I use a NPN (TIP31)?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The TIP31 cannot handle more than 3A. A standard MOSFET would do the job, for instance an IRF540 - again with the coupler fed from the 18V.

nothing909

Joined Nov 5, 2016
So the circuit should look like this?

So the circuit like this, with the components used will work? Nothing needs to be added in, that's it?

Attachments

nothing909

Joined Nov 5, 2016
sorry for going on and asking dumb questions, but what will a lower gate threshold achieve?

also, i only have the stgp6nc60hd available to me. Is there any way I can use it or will I have to go with the IRF540?