Switching Between White Running Light and Amber Turn Signal

kyle.enloe

Joined Feb 28, 2019
I am looking to have a white running light that is normally always on. When I turn on my turn signal I would like the white light to shut off while the amber blinks on and off; then when my turn signal is turned off the white running light comes back on. I have some basic electrical knowledge but this seems to be over my head, I have heard some things about a J-K flip flop but don't know if that is the correct thing to use or if there is a better option. I have seen some lights that seem like the white running light "monitors" the turn signal and when a pulse is no longer seen it waits an amount of time and then comes back on. Just for an example, if the turn signal was on for a half second and off for a half second; the circuitry would watch and check the status of the turn signal every second after the turn signal is turned on. If it checks after the second and the turn signal did not come back on then it would know the turn signal is off and the white light would come back on.

Thanks!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the amber turn signal is much brighter than the white running light, then one option might be to put them in series, and have the flasher bypass the lower powered white light. Another option is to feed the white running light through a normally closed contact of the turn signal switch, so that when the turn indicator is operated the running light is switched off. There was a similar function somehow when the same bulb element was for both stop and turn signaling. Doing it in the switch is the most reliable and least complex method.AND that contact may even be in the switch already.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
What vehicle is this to be installed in? Do you have the vehicle circuit?
A lot of newer cars have CAN bus controls, so that could complicate things a bit.
A bit more info on your proposed installation would be a big help.