Switching 8x 1.5v batteries for a 12v battery

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
I am looking to switch the power source of my portable stereo from 8 x 1.5V (D batteries) to a single 12V battery, does anybody know the required steps to do this ? I can upload pictures on request if necessary.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Its all mechanical; no electronics issues, except possibly a fuse in the positive lead. A short circuit inside your stereo could start a fire with a low-terminal resistance SLA battery.

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
So this would be a case of connecting a positive and negative wire to the battery terminal on the stereo, and then connecting the other end to the battery using crocodile clips ?
This is the kind of battery I have in mind.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sealed-lead-acid-battery-12v-7ah-100-x-65-x-151mm/38315

As it is the exact same voltage I am not expecting to run into any problems, unless you know of any ? would there be a chance of electrical fire by doing this ? and if so why ?

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
So a short circuit in the stereo could cause an electrical fire because the battery has a low resistance, therefore a high current output.
Is there any way to make sure this doesn't happen (this would be using the fuse in the positive lead) ?
The stereo is working fine at the moment, and not showing any signs of having a short circuit in the circuitry.
I just dont want it to blow when I wire in the 12V battery.

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
1. Connect Positive of the battery through a fuse to the positive terminal in the radio.
2. Connect negative terminal of the battery to the negative terminal in the radio.
3. Change your user name.

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
Great, this was my plan initially, however thought it would be best to check that there that there is nothing I am missing as the portable stereo in question is 26 years old and I do not want to damage it.
Also why change my name ?

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
Sorry if my name is not suited. I come to this website for help, as you well know this site has thousands of users from all levels of experience. i could use electronics fan200, or learning to be an engineer001, but i choose the engineer as it was the first thing that popped into mind and was available. Don't waste you time posting derogatory comments just because some people on the site aren't at the same level experience as yourselves. Its hurtful and If my lack of understanding annoys you then please vent your anger in a productive way, such as explaining things in a way that is understandable to people starting off in this field of expertise.

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
No offense was meant, but "real" engineers sometimes have issues with someone calling themselves an engineer when they are not. Just the same as war veterans don't like it when someone claims to have fought in a war when they did not. It takes years of hard work and study to become an engineer, so "real" ones don't take it lightly.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE: We are reopening the thread incase there is any more ON TOPIC discussion to be had.

Members are free to choose whatever Username they want, as long as it doesn't violate the ToS regarding offensive content. Sometimes someone will choose their Username based on who/what they are and sometimes they will do so based on who/what they want to become. It is best if we all keep this in mind and hold back from commenting on another member's Username in most circumstances; however, people that choose Usernames that can be taken as a claim of what they are (even if that is not what was intended) and then demonstrate that that is what they are not can expect a degree of negative commentary to result. As with nearly all things on the internet, you need a thick skin and can't wear your feelings on your shirtsleeves (as much as we all do that from time to time).