Switched mode ballast for mercury vapor lamp

NikKot_

Joined Oct 20, 2019
I want to power an Osram 250w mercury vapor lamp (I've attached the datasheet) from 220v mains or 24-48v DC. I do not want to use regular ballast (or self-regulated lamp) to avoid mains frequency flickering. Are there any rather simple schematics fot that out there? Ideally I would like to have power ajustment pot on the driver so I can use lamp at lower brightness.

Attachments

NikKot_

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have a switched ballast for conventional fluorescent light, but its only 25 or 50 watts. Are conventional ballasts and ones for lamps like I mentioned essentially the same, so I can use it but not at full power?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Why? At 52lm/Watt? You could get that amount of light from 125W of fluorescent tubes, or 80Watts of LEDs, with a far better colour-rendering index.

NikKot_

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Why? At 52lm/Watt? You could get that amount of light from 125W of fluorescent tubes, or 80Watts of LEDs, with a far better colour-rendering index.
I actually want to remove the luminophore coating and use it for spectrum purposes. The lamp has another "bulb" inside and a narrow tube in the base so this can be done quite easily. And the outer glass will still block the UV. The lamps that are already clear are expensive and hard to find.
And no, the outer bulb doesn't contain any mercury.

Last edited:

NikKot_

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Welp, found a perfect circuit for myself. What a coincedence that Big Clive just released this video. I just need to make a way more powerful version of this.