Switch Mode Power Supply problems

Teemu Laurila

Joined Jun 10, 2016
Hey! I have problems building my own boost converter. It gives around 300V with duty cycle of 50, and if i lower the duty cycle to <10, i can get 5v, thats what i want. The problem is current: I can't get enough current from it. I have code that adjusts the duty cycle if voltage difference is detected. Duty cycle rises up to 60(i don't let it go higher, because overheat), and it gives me around 2V. What i should do? Does parts need upgrade or does that occur from wrong value of inductor? I don't have scope, so i can't really look the behavior of this circuit. I think it might oscillate at wrong frequency or something like that. Arduino code is kinda simple: (yeah, that is only the loop because there is nothing to see in the settings void (except DDRD = 1<<PD2;)

PORTD = 1<<PD2;
delayMicroseconds(100);
PORTD = 0<<PD2;
delayMicroseconds(100);

Attachments

tsan

Joined Sep 6, 2014
What is the input voltage? Output voltage of boost converter is bigger than input voltage. If you have 2 V at output then input voltage is really small. On the other hand there has been 300 V output voltage too. Do you have always some load on the output? Are you sure that inductor does not saturate?

Teemu Laurila

Joined Jun 10, 2016
In 2.2V, out 190V. If one led with 100 ohm resistor applyed, voltage drops to 3.5v. And that is made with same duty. I have code that changes the duty to keep the 5v, but it still drops below 5v if load is added.

Teemu Laurila

Joined Jun 10, 2016
i didn't i just picked best i have. I also tried with 2200µF/16V, but the voltage dropped again. That might caused by solderless breadboad :X it is prototype, so i built it to the breadboard.

tsan

Joined Sep 6, 2014
i didn't i just picked best i have. I also tried with 2200µF/16V, but the voltage dropped again. That might caused by solderless breadboad :X it is prototype, so i built it to the breadboard.
I tried to simulate in LTSpice using 100 ohm load and with 470nF it still works but with 470uF output capacitor there is much less output voltage ripple. Transistor S13003AD has about 0,6 V saturation voltage which is quite much when supply is 2,2 V. On my simulation there was a mosfet and almost no voltage at all across the mosfet. I tested different inductor series resistances. With small resistance operation was ok. If resistance was increased to something like 10 ohms then output voltage started to drop. If you have a small axial inductor it can have quite big series resistance and based on simulation inductor resistance has biggest effect. I also tried 25kHz switching frequency but it didn't make much difference. Otherwise I used 5 kHz as per your code (100us + 100us) switching frequency is 5kHz.