switch between two power sources

micro1

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Hello All,

I would like to switch between two power sources, namely solar panel 50 ~ 100W (variable power) and wind turbine 50 ~ 100W (variable power) , but max power in the system take 100W .

for example1:
Solar =80W
Wind turbine =20W
Solar + WT = 100w

for example 2:
Solar = 90W
WT= 40W
Solar +WT =130W
But the system work in max power 100W, is mean drop power from 130W to 100W

for example 3:
Solar = 50W
WT =70W
Solar + WT =120w
But the system work in max power 100W, is mean drop power from 120W to 100W

Is there any circuit to do this ?

Thanks

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
diodes.PNG
do you have circuit?
The highest voltage at the time will come through. Schottky diode is suggested for least loss.
I don't know where uyou are or where you buy stuff but the attached is from DigiKey. 25 V, 15 Amp, TO-220 case. Heat sink is suggested. Any chunk of aluminum.

Attachments

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I would like to switch between two power sources, namely solar panel 50 ~ 100W (variable power) and wind turbine 50 ~ 100W (variable power) , but max power in the system take 100W .
What is the nature of the load that requires you to limit power from the source?

The power connected to a typical house can provide much more than a single, or probably all, appliances/lights/etc can use; but we don't need to limit the potential power that can be provided to the house. Each "load" takes what it needs.

micro1

Joined Feb 22, 2015
View attachment 120828

The highest voltage at the time will come through. Schottky diode is suggested for least loss.
I don't know where uyou are or where you buy stuff but the attached is from DigiKey. 25 V, 15 Amp, TO-220 case. Heat sink is suggested. Any chunk of aluminum.
can I use this "STMICROELECTRONICS STPS20L25CT Schottky Rectifier, 25 V, 10 A, Dual Common Cathode, TO-220AB, 3 Pins, 350 mV"

http://my.element14.com/stmicroelec...;@16eb16eb&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
In all of the examples in post #1, it looks like you want to ADD the two power sources to achieve a minimum of 100 W of output power capability. That is a very different problem. If the two power sources are not at exactly the same output voltages (under load), a diode-OR arrangement probably will not work. For each of the power sources, what are the output voltages and currents at no load and full load? Also, what is the load on the system? Do these power sources drive a DC/AC inverter to make house AC power, or a well pump. or what?

ak

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
In all of the examples in post #1, it looks like you want to ADD the two power sources to achieve a minimum of 100 W of output power capability. That is a very different problem. If the two power sources are not at exactly the same output voltages (under load), a diode-OR arrangement probably will not work. For each of the power sources, what are the output voltages and currents at no load and full load? Also, what is the load on the system? Do these power sources drive a DC/AC inverter to make house AC power, or a well pump. or what?

ak
True, adding the two outputs is a different problem.