Swapping DC Jacks

mjryer

Joined Sep 19, 2021
Hey guys, need a little help here, completely new to this. So I own a Pioneer XDJ 700 and the DC input jack (12V, 2A) has been bent so has a loose connection. Of course Pioneer being Pioneer, in the same fashion as Apple, have made their DC connections different to everyone else's so they're pricier to repair.

This leads me to my question. The part I need to replace is a DKN1649 (https://instrumentalparts.com/jack-dc-ja2001/), but this part is hard to come by in the UK, so my question is would it be alright to simply remove the old jack and solder on a similar, but generic 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC power jack (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingma...ywords=2.1+5.5+dc+jack&qid=1632075892&sr=8-11) and power it with a corresponding generic 12V 2A DC cable??

I'm just wondering, is it alright to use different cables and connectors (corresponding) if at the end of the day the negative and the positive are still correctly soldered and receiving the same power??

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
so my question is would it be alright to simply remove the old jack and solder on a similar, but generic 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC power jack
As long as you can make the replacement connector fit to your satisfaction.
and power it with a corresponding generic 12V 2A DC cable??

I'm just wondering, is it alright to use different cables and connectors (corresponding) if at the end of the day the negative and the positive are still correctly soldered and receiving the same power??
You need to make sure that the polarity of the cable matches the socket. If Pioneer liked to be an oddball, they may have wired power backwards from what is more typical (center positive in my region).

mjryer

Joined Sep 19, 2021
Welcome to AAC!
As long as you can make the replacement connector fit to your satisfaction.
You need to make sure that the polarity of the cable matches the socket. If Pioneer liked to be an oddball, they may have wired power backwards from what is more typical (center positive in my region).
Well yes I'd buy a new cable to fit the new DC jack, then would I simply have to match up positive to positive and negative to negative?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'd buy a new cable to fit the new DC jack
Why do you need a new cable? Presumably, you'd just cut the end off of the existing adapter cord and replace it with one to match the replacement power jack. Be aware that the 5.5mm OD connectors can have either a 2.1mm or 2.5mm center conductor. You also need to make sure the jack connections are the same. Only 2 of the 3 are required unless there's a battery in the equipment that needs to be disconnected when being powered by an adapter.
then would I simply have to match up positive to positive and negative to negative?
Yes.