Superwheels for supersonic car

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I couldn't imagine going that fast! Seems like the vibrations would shake the eyeballs right out of your head!!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Is there a claim that this car can exceed Mach 1.0?

I think they will experience major difficulties if they try. Never mind the vibration, front end lift is what would worry me. I see no way to keep the nose down.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I think they will experience major difficulties if they try. Never mind the vibration, front end lift is what would worry me. I see no way to keep the nose down.
"Oh downforce... Crap we forgot about that"... :)

Heck they can probably set the speed record upside down.. Just need to construct the upside down lake bed.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Also the step function in torque when they light the afterburner will tend to raise the nose. It doesn't take much at those speeds -- just watch the guys who race hydroplanes.
Even a flying cigar has some lift. What they need is a front end canard.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The current land speed record is just a bit over Mach 1, and I certainly have no problem with the wheels, they look first rate. Just to be clear, I don't wish for misfortune to befall these pioneers, I just worry for their safety.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Also the step function in torque when they light the afterburner will tend to raise the nose.... What they need is a front end canard.
I believe the center of thrust is above the center of gravity and will tend to push the nose down. Also, I think that slim yellow line in the picture may be the canard viewed on edge?

[update] I looked, it is.