Communication with supersonic drone

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Whatever they wanted to, which may or may not be per any standard.

What's so special about China building a supersonic drone? I worked on supersonic drones back in the 1980's (and they were a couple decades old at that point).

Last edited:

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Oh sorry it's new for me. Just because mobile phone communications have problem when traveling on vehicle with high speed so I was just curious to know something about.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Oh sorry it's new for me. Just because mobile phone communications have problem when traveling on vehicle with high speed so I was just curious to know something about.
Mobile phones use a cellular system. In order to maximize channel loading the coverage area is made of up cell sites that are laid out as tessellating hexagons. When a subscriber moves from one cell to the next, there is a handoff by the system.

The entire system is designed to be used by subscribers who are below the antenna arrays, and who can only be heard by one or two cells at a time since the operating frequencies all depend on line-of-site propagation. They are also expected to dwell in a cell for a relatively extended period.

This combination of things make operation from a high speed aircraft dodgy. The high elevation means the subscriber can be heard by many more cells than the system’s algorithms are designed to deal with, while when they are operating at lower elevations their dwell time in any give cell will be far too short to be properly accommodated and handoffs will fail.

Communications with drones, particularly covertly operating ones will be via highly directional antennas aimed at the drone itself. It will probably also use some sort of beamforming technology or diversity reception.

In any case it is completely different from the mobile phone infrastructure which is intended to maximize the number of devices communicating on a particular frequency (channel loading).

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
because mobile phone communications have problem when traveling on vehicle with high speed
The speed of the drone has little effect on the communication, since the drone is traveling at a very small fraction of the signal speed traveling at the speed of light (about 5μs per mile).

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Be aware the China may giveway those drones to russia ir order to occupy one European country after another. Better is to make as much as possible barriers to produce it well.

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
I open this thread just because news bulletin made it sound like something out of the ordinary. Then @WBahn told me that supersonic drones are over 40 years old.