Superposition Theorem

jessi

Joined Apr 12, 2005
I am having trouble grasping the superposition theorem. Does anyone know how to explain it as if explaining "superposition theorem for dummies?" Or if someone can explain the steps I need to take to find the end results I would need (ie currents and voltage drops). I seem to be getting the polarities mixed up when I go to tabulate my answers... Please help!!!

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Originally posted by jessi@Apr 12 2005, 10:08 PM
I am having trouble grasping the superposition theorem. Does anyone know how to explain it as if explaining "superposition theorem for dummies?" Or if someone can explain the steps I need to take to find the end results I would need (ie currents and voltage drops). I seem to be getting the polarities mixed up when I go to tabulate my answers... Please help!!!
[post=6877]Quoted post[/post]​
Google for "superposition theorem". The second link I got was http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/6.html

jessi

Joined Apr 12, 2005
Originally posted by David Bridgen@Apr 12 2005, 08:45 PM
Google for "superposition theorem". The second link I got was http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/6.html
[post=6883]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks for replying. I did check the website and I still don't understand how to figure out the polarities in the end. How do you know when the circuit splits, which polarity to take? I know it will determine whether you add the voltages or subtract them. That is where I seem to be getting confused.

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Originally posted by jessi@Apr 13 2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks for replying. I did check the website and I still don't understand how to figure out the polarities in the end. How do you know when the circuit splits, which polarity to take? I know it will determine whether you add the voltages or subtract them. That is where I seem to be getting confused.
[post=6888]Quoted post[/post]​
I'm afraid that I don't understand your confusion Jessi.

In the example given, the sign of the voltage across each resistor, and the current through it, is shown for each voltage source.

The resultants are simply the algebraic sums of the two cases.

jessi

Joined Apr 12, 2005
Originally posted by David Bridgen@Apr 13 2005, 11:57 AM
I'm afraid that I don't understand your confusion Jessi.

In the example given, the sign of the voltage across each resistor, and the current through it, is shown for each voltage source.

The resultants are simply the algebraic sums of the two cases.
[post=6895]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks again for replying. I finally got it. I was confusing polarities somehow. I learned this theorem in my math for electronics class earlier this past week, but unfortunately my instructor in that class is not very familiar with electronics and made many mistakes while teaching our class this theorem. I just learned about this theorem today in my electronics class. Fortunately, my instructor in my electronics class is very familiar with electronics, and explained it much better. Thanks again for your replies.

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Originally posted by jessi@Apr 14 2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks again for replying. I finally got it. I was confusing polarities somehow. I learned this theorem in my math for electronics class earlier this past week, but unfortunately my instructor in that class is not very familiar with electronics and made many mistakes while teaching our class this theorem. I just learned about this theorem today in my electronics class. Fortunately, my instructor in my electronics class is very familiar with electronics, and explained it much better. Thanks again for your replies.
[post=6936]Quoted post[/post]​
Ok Jessi, that's good.