Superposition Rule

AndrieGnd

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Hello gentlemen ! , I'm not assure if this related to math or not but I think so.
my professor wrote a question with given equation as this: E=E1^x +E2^y , which E is electrical field.
he said afterwards, we will deal with the solution of this question as two fields separately, which means:
solving over E1 and gets its soltuion.
solving over E2 and gets its solution.
the total solution is the sum of the two solution I said above.
I totally agree with him, but what's confusing me maybe E1 and E2 is affecting each other once they are applied on the same time so we can't solve the problem as solution of E1,E2 separately because they are affecting one eachother while applying them altogether.
So I'm asking maybe there's relation between E1,E2 once we are applying them together and didn't give us information about that .. so how we still use the superposition Rule although it might be relation between E1,E2 ! (( in the question didn't give us information if there's a relation between E1,E2))

Any help?!

Last edited:

AndrieGnd

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Maybe we are assuming that we don't have a relation between two elements(E1,E2) ? so we can solve problem separately at each element?! but if so, in waves for example we get a interference between two waves .. so we can't separate one wave from another because they've a relation between eachother once they applied altogether (we get non-constructive interference)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Well if he said to use superposition then i would do that.
Also, are the two fields orthogonal? That would be a consideration but if he already said how to do it then do it that way.