Supercapacitor parallel regenerative braking circuit

elextroauto

Joined Mar 29, 2020
1585511688750.png

I am doing a heavy vehicle project and putting a regenerative braking system into the vehicle. It also has a supercapacitor module in parallel with the battery (which has the same voltage), and the goal is to

1. Share the current during acceleration (s1 and s2 closed)
  2. Charge the supercapacitor (only) during braking (s1 open and s2 closed)

Because I am a student and have limited money, I don't want to blow up anything. Will this circuit have a voltage spike? Also, does this circuit need a dc-dc converter? (emf of the motor will be close to 12 volts during braking)

Materials
Battery:
12 V 10 ah
Supercapacitor: 15 V (only using up to 12 V) 55 Farad
Switch: 30 V 10 A relay with diodes
Motor: 775 DC Motor
H bridge: DROK L298 Dual H Bridge

I want to feed the supercapacitor constant 12 volts from the motor, but I don't know if I can build a bidirectional DC-DC motor. Is there any alternative solution?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If the capacitor is going to get a constant 12 V, then it's voltage is not changing and neither is it's charge and neither is the energy stored in it.

So just how is this going to perform regenerative braking????

Have you run any numbers at all in terms of how much energy your braking system needs to extract and store and over what period of time?

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I'm pretty sure that regenerative braking requires stepping up the back-emf from the motor so it will charge the battery or supercap. Or maybe, charge the supercap and then transfer that energy to the battery. Either way, that's a hefty DC-dc converter.