Super Scooter - 25HP 60ft - 0 to 60 in 4 seconds

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Ok,
so I have a scooter and have been toying around with the idea of either converting it to electric powered or supplementing the 10hp gas motor with an electric motor.

Of course, it would be a toy. Just for giggles.

So what motor and controller would do the trick? I only need a few minutes run time especially if I could incorporate an electric motor to work with the existing gas powered motor. Otherwise, removing the gas motor completely is perfectly fine.

The goal is a 175 lb scooter with a 200lb rider, capable of sprints to 60 in 4 seconds or less.

I calculate that would require about 35hp but about 50 ft lbs of torque.

Anyone care to explore this fun project with me?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you're looking to boost power from 10hp to~35hp that equates to a ~19kW DC motor add-on, or ~26kW replacement.

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
If you're looking to boost power from 10hp to~35hp that equates to a ~19kW DC motor add-on, or ~26kW replacement.
Thank you for the helpful post.
I'll use those numbers as a baseline.
I love building things like this and this should be a lot of fun at the track.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Best my scooter ever did was about 30 MPH. And that was after I built a supercharger for it. Details details. I used an old air pump from a car, belt driven and rigged up a Plymouth Valiant one barrel carburetor. Plumbed the output of the pump into the intake of the engine (a Briggs & Scrapiron). And it ran! Yes, we (young boys) thought it was faster, but it probably wasn't. Y'know, like when you wash your car it rides better sort of thing ? ? ? AND at 30 MPH my steering was HANG ON FOR THE SHEER LOVE OF LIFE. Seeing your scooter do that kind of speed, 0 - 60 in 4 seconds - that's going to mean the scooter has to be capable of some pretty serious top end speeds. I think the question of how much you value your live over your hobby is a valid one. At that speed you can leave a pretty serious and long greasy skid mark.

I think the best RPM my B&S engine could do was about 3500 RPM. Supercharged or not.

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Best my scooter ever did was about 30 MPH. And that was after I built a supercharger for it. Details details. I used an old air pump from a car, belt driven and rigged up a Plymouth Valiant one barrel carburetor. Plumbed the output of the pump into the intake of the engine (a Briggs & Scrapiron). And it ran! Yes, we (young boys) thought it was faster, but it probably wasn't. Y'know, like when you wash your car it rides better sort of thing ? ? ? AND at 30 MPH my steering was HANG ON FOR THE SHEER LOVE OF LIFE. Seeing your scooter do that kind of speed, 0 - 60 in 4 seconds - that's going to mean the scooter has to be capable of some pretty serious top end speeds. I think the question of how much you value your live over your hobby is a valid one. At that speed you can leave a pretty serious and long greasy skid mark.

I think the best RPM my B&S engine could do was about 3500 RPM. Supercharged or not.
Not at all. Zero to 60 means the scooter has to be capable of going about 80mph....quickly.
The intent is to build an acceleration beast....not a top speed slayer.
The frame, steering and brakes will all be specially crafted for the purpose.

Some poor folks that posted in this thread sound like the naysayers telling Orville and Wilbur that their silly nonsense was to be their end.

People always fear what they can't do, can't afford to do or don't understand :)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Some poor folks that posted in this thread sound like the naysayers telling Orville and Wilbur that their silly nonsense was to be their end.
I'm not a "poor folk" or a naysayer, just concerned about your safety.

And you can hardly compare yourself to Orville and Wilbur.
They had a specific and laudable goal in mind -- to build a machine that could perform level flight.
You goal is just to build something that can go fast for the heck of it.

If you can really built a scooter that can safely run at 80MPH than that may be okay.
But I have my doubts about that. :eek:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
I may comment only about slightly lighter machine what is bicycle. Pedalling power of average man is 60W (25 km/h) but sportsman in long run 120W (50 km/h) When add to such 622mm x 20 mm cycle the 250 W motor, it goes about 70 km/h what means the frame becaomes mild and You clearly feel it deforms all the time. I ndont believe this speed may be kept for a longer time without metal tiredness cracks and consequent salto mortalis. However there exists a bicycle oriented motors 500W and 1 kW and even 2 kW them are designed for up-hill driving with enormous heavy bike with enormous wide wheels. About 35 kW - I am sure it will be the real bolide aka falling star. The keyword here was `falling`.
By the way, one of soviet personal cars produced up to about millenium was Zaporozhec aka ZAZ-965/966/968 (it was my first car I got at about 1980, so I know well). The first two had power of 20-25 hp (or less than 15 kW) for this 1000 kg heavy coffin (and third cthe 38 hp) but anyway the 100-120 km/h it sometimes was capable for. Rather enough for hari-kiri style self-kill

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
People always fear what they can't do, can't afford to do or don't understand
Well, poor folk me then. I can't understand WHY you want to make such a beast. But since I can't imagine exactly what it is you intend to build the best I can do is use my imagination. I remember being young and foolish. To this day I can't point to any reason why I'm still alive; I've done some really stupid stuff in my life. Just fortunate enough to have made it this far. If you want to build such a machine then none of us can stop you. Have at it. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Just remember that a few of us here felt your idea lacked wisdom. Not saying it's foolish, I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Incidentally, Yes, I CAN build such a thing. I can also afford it. But I'm either a little too chicken to try OR a little too smart to.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
For some years I have been afflicted with the belief that flight is possible to man. My disease has increased in severity and I feel that it will soon cost me an increased amount of money if not my life.
- Wilbur Wright

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
The problem is a motor 35 hp even at 48 volt DC is not going to be small

But I don't think you need that much for a 0 to 60 run.

I bet a 15 hp golf cart motor would launch you like a rock with 60 volt dewalt batteries