Suggestions on Small induction heating copper coil coating

Joncates606

Joined May 22, 2018
I have a copper coil that i need to coat to keep the coils from touching and to help insulate to reduce loss of heat. The coil is 3/16 tubing that i am water cooling. I am wanting something on the cheap side as this is a project/ experiment at work that needs to prove itself before we spend some money on it. What kind of coatings would you suggest?

Joncates606

Joined May 22, 2018

Joncates606

Joined May 22, 2018
induction heating, The coil is only heating the metal plate. The coil itself does not get hot if cooled correctly. If you know anything about induction heating then you should understand what im talking about with it being water cooled.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have a copper coil that i need to coat to keep the coils from touching and to help insulate to reduce loss of heat. The coil is 3/16 tubing that i am water cooling. I am wanting something on the cheap side as this is a project/ experiment at work that needs to prove itself before we spend some money on it. What kind of coatings would you suggest?
Based on your initial post and subsequent post what you want is a high temperature overbraid insulation. Typically made from fiberglass or similar to a silica yarn fiber. Here is an example: Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature and XS Silica Sleeving. You want what is called high temperature sleeving or over braid. Products like this are not cheap depending on your definition of "inexpensive". Personally I see sub $100 for something to be tested in a prototype as inexpensive. Google a few of the terms.

Ron

Joncates606

Joined May 22, 2018
Based on your initial post and subsequent post what you want is a high temperature overbraid insulation. Typically made from fiberglass or similar to a silica yarn fiber. Here is an example: Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature and XS Silica Sleeving. You want what is called high temperature sleeving or over braid. Products like this are not cheap depending on your definition of "inexpensive". Personally I see sub $100 for something to be tested in a prototype as inexpensive. Google a few of the terms.

Ron
I'll look into it. Thanks

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Fire rope, for sealing oven doors etc., is readily available in various sizes and is inexpensive. That could insulate between succesive turns of the coil. The coil could be wound over a ceramic cylinder (e.g. Pyrex vase, coffee mug?).

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I was going to suggest the braided fiberglass tube that is used with some thermocouples. But also the "slip" stuff that is used for making ceramic objects. That is a hobby material and for your application you could probably get some that had become too lumpy for hobby use. You could probably even make solid assemblies with it with multiple dippings.. And if you wanted it to be really permanent you could get it fired in a kiln. But it would be brittle, that is the down-side.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Im Actually looking for somthing thats kind of like ceramic or somthing along the lines of a putty. This will have a metal plate inside the coil heating it to a little above 1,000F so itll have to be able to withstand that and it will also have to be nonconductive. I'll edit the post to include that
This is why giving as complete of a question gets better answers, the original post didn't specify.So something like this could work, it comes in many sizes and even in tubing like for spark plug wires. Similar to what Ron was talking about.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/exhaust-wrap

Joncates606

Joined May 22, 2018
This is why giving as complete of a question gets better answers, the original post didn't specify.So something like this could work, it comes in many sizes and even in tubing like for spark plug wires. Similar to what Ron was talking about.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/exhaust-wrap
First ever post, just joined today. Still have to learn how to phrase questions to get an answer to what I'm looking for

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
First ever post, just joined today. Still have to learn how to phrase questions to get an answer to what I'm looking for
I understand that! But as most folks are not expert mind readers I felt that explaining what works best was a good idea. And I hope that the use of ceramic slip works out.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As others have suggested, the coil is usually water cooled and in the past simple neoprene tubing over the copper was used succesfully.
IOW the coil should not carry any heat.
Max.