Suggestions for descent logic probe/pulser

john74

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Hello, Im looking to buy a logic probe logic pulser, seems like they're a lot of em that combine them in one...which seems like it would be ideal. Been looking around but seems like they're a lot of choices. Just wanting to ask if for suggestions on a good choice or brandname...one thats sensible easy to use. And of course covers CMOS logic levels highs n lows. Suggestions? Thank you so much

I made a logic probe/pulse stretcher when I started out in electronics, and then never used it. I can tell so much more with a voltmeter and a 'scope. Of course, if you don't have a 'scope and you can't trigger on a pulse and need to know if a fleeting pulse is present, the pulse-stretcher can be useful.

I just took a look at Amazon and there were a number of decent ones with high ratings in the $20 price range. Like anything else, I would look at Amazon reviews and see if people's expectations and experience with the product matches your own.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
suggestions on a good choice or brandname...one thats sensible easy to use. And of course covers CMOS logic levels highs n lows.
I've been a fan of the HP54xA series since the late 70's. The HP545A logic probe supports TTL and CMOS (3-18V). CMOS thresholds are a ratio of the supply voltage. The nice thing about this probe over all others I've seen is that it will indicate float. It will also detect 1uS+ pulses.

The logic pulser is HP546A, current tracer is HP547A, and the logic clip is HP548A. The set cost $1500 when it was introduced, but can be had for ten cents on the dollar if you bargain shop.

When I was a tech at HP, everyone had a scope at their workstation, but the 54XA probes were still used (and we only had one set for the whole line).

john74

Joined Aug 22, 2015
I've been a fan of the HP54xA series since the late 70's. The HP545A logic probe supports TTL and CMOS (3-18V). CMOS thresholds are a ratio of the supply voltage. The nice thing about this probe over all others I've seen is that it will indicate float. It will also detect 1uS+ pulses.

The logic pulser is HP546A, current tracer is HP547A, and the logic clip is HP548A. The set cost $1500 when it was introduced, but can be had for ten cents on the dollar if you bargain shop.

When I was a tech at HP, everyone had a scope at their workstation, but the 54XA probes were still used (and we only had one set for the whole line).
Thanks so much for that suggestion...appreciate it