Suggestions for an IR codec IC

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Can anyone suggest a purpose built codec IC for use in a simple 2-channel IR remote control?

I'm finding lots that are either no longer produced, or based on a microcontroller like a PIC that is programmed by some 3rd party. My goal is to get it from a solid supplier like digikey or mouser and not have to program it. The idea is to replace the PIC u-controllers in the schematics below, with minimal changes. It doesn't matter which IR protocol is used as long as there is a encoder/decoder pair, or an IC that does both.

For example, this IC looks great on paper, (data sheet here) but it's a PIC programmed by a 3rd party in India. I would much prefer to buy from a reliable source like digikey, etc..

Can anyone suggest an IC?

Attachments

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are ways of doing things that are economically viable and there are other ways that are an economic disaster. Anybody who invests development time and dollars is not going to want to give up control of that work for little or no compensation. Designing a custom IC is only viable if you need or can sell in excess of 100,000 units. It used to be about 10,000 units but times have changed and the foundry costs have increased. With a programmable device of any description you can viably build a few and sell a few to build a business. Are you familiar with Adafruit and MCM Electronics. They have lots of ready to go modules and things you can use to develop stuff.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
HT12D and HT12E?
Thanks! These might work, I'm trying to figure out from the data sheet if the output can be momentary as opposed to latched (I need momentary). But this is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.

@ErnieM - Thanks for the info! I will keep this in mind for the next project, but for this project I'm hoping to not have to write or validate any PIC code for time reasons.

@Papabravo - I've made a proof of concept product using off the shelf components and it worked perfectly. Next is creating my own PCB that consolidates all the various off-the-shelf modules that our proof of concept was made from, with the hopes of being one big step closer to having the PCB produced commercially. The codec IC is the one part that I don't know how to acquire easily.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks! These might work, I'm trying to figure out from the data sheet if the output can be momentary as opposed to latched (I need momentary). But this is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.

@ErnieM - Thanks for the info! I will keep this in mind for the next project, but for this project I'm hoping to not have to write or validate any PIC code for time reasons.

@Papabravo - I've made a proof of concept product using off the shelf components and it worked perfectly. Next is creating my own PCB that consolidates all the various off-the-shelf modules that our proof of concept was made from, with the hopes of being one big step closer to having the PCB produced commercially. The codec IC is the one part that I don't know how to acquire easily.
OK. Now I have a better idea of what you are up to. If the 12D/12E combo works for that would be great. After you get the first one working you can always do a cost reduction if it becomes successful. I'm not that familiar with the 12D/12E combo, and I thought they were RF type devices.

I worked for a high end audio equipment manufacturer and they actually commissioned custom high end remote controls to be built for their products. I had to update the product firmware to deal with the results. Needless to say I became very adept at modifying the ATmega firmware for their IR dreams.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Oops - sorry,

HT12A is for 38KHz IR, Not the 'E'

Memory is failing me again :(

Other chips I have seen used are PT2221/PT2222 and PT2248/PT2249, but I suspect these may be near to obsolete

Last edited: