suggestions for a NiMH charging chip that can charge 7 series cells

488 studios

Joined Nov 10, 2023
I'm looking to build a charger for energizer rechargeable 9v batteries because the charger I built uses a max713, which trickle charges whenever it's not fast charging. I read that modern high capacity NiMH's can't be trickle charged. Is that true? anyways, I'm looking for an IC which can fast charge 7 series cell NiMH's (Energizer 8.4v 175mAh batteries, to be specific) and can disable trickle charging, preferably in a through hole package, although I wouldn't mind learning to surface mount solder if it's pins aren't too small or close together.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'm looking to build a charger for energizer rechargeable 9v batteries because the charger I built uses a max713, which trickle charges whenever it's not fast charging. I read that modern high capacity NiMH's can't be trickle charged. Is that true? anyways, I'm looking for an IC which can fast charge 7 series cell NiMH's (Energizer 8.4v 175mAh batteries, to be specific) and can disable trickle charging, preferably in a through hole package, although I wouldn't mind learning to surface mount solder if it's pins aren't too small or close together.
IIRC, NiMH is topped off with a trickle, but a continuous trickle after that will damage the chemistry.

My solution was to estimate the self-discharge, and periodically trickle to compensate.