Suggestions For 200 Watt Amplifiers

coolyyz321

Joined Mar 17, 2017
I have a question for a boom box that I am planning to make later on, I was asking if there was any suggestions for 2 channel amplifiers that have around 200 watts per channel, (ohm stability don't matter), either board or premade amp like a car or boat amplifier for example. What are some amplifiers that you all suggest for the boom box.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I recently put a PA amp together using a couple of class D amp modules from Ebay. It is built in an unused graphic equalizer that was lying around. The performance was pleasently suprising.
Admitedly this is running on 24V. Using 2 stereo amps drive 4 sets of speakers really well.
This is used by a music group for outside work as their original amp just did not have the power.
These class D amp boards are very cheap and worth having a look at.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have a question for a boom box that I am planning to make later on, I was asking if there was any suggestions for 2 channel amplifiers that have around 200 watts per channel, (ohm stability don't matter), either board or premade amp like a car or boat amplifier for example. What are some amplifiers that you all suggest for the boom box.
If you have in mind 200 watts per channel RMS power for a portable boom box you are going to need a heck of a large battery. Even at half power the current draw will be in excess of 17 Amps at 12 VDC. As to build or buy I like Alpine amps but there are other good low distortion power amps to be had. Again you need to specify your power beyond 200 watts per channel. Just as an example 200 Watts X2 RMS.

Ron

coolyyz321

Joined Mar 17, 2017
If you have in mind 200 watts per channel RMS power for a portable boom box you are going to need a heck of a large battery. Even at half power the current draw will be in excess of 17 Amps at 12 VDC. As to build or buy I like Alpine amps but there are other good low distortion power amps to be had. Again you need to specify your power beyond 200 watts per channel. Just as an example 200 Watts X2 RMS.

Ron
I would say 200 max because it will be plugged into a wall.

coolyyz321

Joined Mar 17, 2017
I was looking at the Sure 200x2 watt amplifier class D on parts express, are Sure amps any good for people that have used them?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
These are what I used...
The amp..
Amp.png
There are 2 of these driving 4 lots of speakers.

And speaker protection board...
SpkrProtector.png

They work pretty well.
On the amp, I did reverse the input caps as it was being driven by a pot to gnd so each cap was reverse biassed and introduced noise.

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The maximum power supply for the TPA3116D2 amp IC is only 26V. With a 24V power supply its output power without clipping is 62W per channel into 4 ohms. If both channels are paralleled then its mono output power is 120W into 2 ohms.

donpetru

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Before recommending something, you should mention the practical experience you have in the audio field.

Note that a power supply of 24VDC will drive on the acoustic enclosure at a voltage trip of maximum 24 Vpeak-to-peak. Basically, less because there are power losses. Under these conditions, the 24Vpeak-peak means: 8.48Vrms. If we report 4 ohm, then the output power on an audio channel will be: 17,99W. If we connect two audio channels in the bridge, then the theoretical output power is four times higher, but practically an acceptable THD will be approximately twice as high. Under these circumstances, that TPA3116D2 can not be a solution to your requirement.

For this reason, I recommend that you build the audio project from here (it is simple, notice to beginners):
http://www.tehnium-azi.ro/topic/1220-fet300-un-amplificator-audio-simplu-si-performant/
You will need to register if you want to download the project files.
This year, I intend to introduce: FET400 MK2. There will be another free audio amplifier project for users.