substituting capacitors?

WWC4C

Joined Jan 22, 2020
I am skilled in auto & home electrical repair but just beginning with electronic devices. So many of you might find my question amusing. Bare with me please I have a crisis our refrigerator has stopped cooling. The compressor doesn't come on. This started after replacing a capacitor on the control board with same spec as original. It was obviously bad. All this began when unit stopped defrosting. thermostat in freezer was determined bad & replaced with oem part. Still no defrost. Bad capacitor was discovered & replaced. Evaperator was frozen solid. Immediately after repaired board reinstall & unit turned on defrost cycle began.Problem is when it was done compressor did not turn on. there's one more capacitor on board.It does appear to be bad. Going to test it. The kit I ordered doesn't have same size in it. If it tests bad can I use two of same voltage that the sum of both equal oem uf? Model # attatched below. Thank You for your help!

Attachments

WWC4C

Joined Jan 22, 2020
I found the problem with the Whirlpool refrigerator. It was a bad connection at the thermostat. Still curious about the feasibility of combining two capacitors to replace one?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I found the problem with the Whirlpool refrigerator. It was a bad connection at the thermostat. Still curious about the feasibility of combining two capacitors to replace one?
If you connect two capacitors in parallel, the total capacitance will be equal to the sum of the two.
Regards,
Keith

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's worth emphasizing, Murphy's Law and all, that a PARALLEL connection gives the sum of the capacitances. A series connection reduces the total capacitance.