stupid quary about companies

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I am doing engineering . I want to know some information about companies that will help me to get job
I visit companies web site and I see what service they provide but we don't know what CAD tool they used to make electronic circuit.

If we know something before interview. we can prepare very well before interview example
If they use cadence , keil we can prepare very well because we know what they are using.

same we don't know what qualities we should have to get job. what quality should have employ to get job.I mean design engineer , testing engineering ...etc and which type of employ they are looking for job.

If my intrusted field is microcontroller. I like to make small projects with microcontroller
I want to become design engineer so how to know what will be my role in company

can we send mail to companies to know the some basic information about company ? Its legals

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I personally hate when interviewees come in and tell me they should get hired because they know how to use all of the tools our engineers use. When I look at a resume or interview someone, I don't what to know what tools they have used, I want to know HOW they have USED those tools. I think of University/College as a time to learn HOW TO LEARN. If I hire a good person, they will learn whatever is needed for their job and make contributions to profitability of our company (efficiency, increased capacity, better quality, improved safety (of product and for employees) ...). I would like to see phrases like, I have completed project X, Y and Z. The possible benefit to a company those projects could bring are...

Knowing what types of projects are important and why are key to success.

I almost always discard resumes that only have a list of skills (I know how to do X, Y and Z).

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
suppose company work in embedded domain I want to work with this company in future but I don't know about what they require.
can I ask throw email which hardware and language they use in their work

In company , project completed in group
1 hardware designer
2 software designer
3 testing code

key skill
1 candidate should have knowledge about languages
2 candidate should have knowledge hardware
3 candidate should have good communication knowledge

In this condition they specify languages, and hardware but they don't tell which language and hardware
assembly C, C++ or 8051,ARM, PIC

so can we ask this questions which hardware and language they used in their work ?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
can I ask throw email which hardware and language they use in their work
1) It may seem trivial to you, but be sure your spelling is correct. Small mistakes in grammar may be overlooked, but there is no excuse for spelling like that.
2) I concur with GopherT. I was never impressed by all the machines an applicant had touched or the programs s/he claimed to know how to use. Such claims are relatively unimportant, and in the US, giving a proficiency test to validate those claims can be risky for the potential employer. I always asked question about what they had actually done. Asking for a few example easily exposed those who had padded their resumes.

John

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
I don't think knowing the specific CAD tool is all that important. They are looking for CAD experience in general. They will train you on their tools.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree that tool-specific experience is not much of a factor for choosing an employee. It's more important for outsourcing work, where a client might want to send you a specific file type (LTspice, AutoCAD, maybe) and get back your work in that format. But other factors are more important when choosing an employee. Tools change and come and go faster than employees.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Good point about outsourcing. I guess it also applies to contract employees. It would be interesting. To learn how this works in India or China. Are there so many engineering graduates available that the employer can pick one that is the perfect fit? Skills, experience, geography, ...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, the situation changes as the line between employee and contractor blurs. If I needed 8 programmers in C++ tomorrow, my first thought would not be to hire them as employees, who after all become colleagues and even friends. If I need them for the next 5 years or more, that's very different.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
The OP is aiming in the right direction I think, the general advice about applying for a job and going for an interview is to find something out about the company. But this is usually expected to be general business background, not technical nitty-gritty such as which CAD they use.

So I would find out what current projects they have, look at last year's accounts, company size, number of employees, target markets, what they are currently promoting and generally get a good understanding of their business. Depending on company size you can phone up and ask to speak to someone for more background (I wouldn't do this with a small business because you may end up dragging the guy who is going to interview you away from something important). Then you can describe what you can offer them to help them succeed and be enthusiastic about their projects/products.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If I was to receive an unrequested email from someone on the outside I probably would not answer it. There are too many ways that could trip me up personally, so with no upside for me just a potential downslide I would not respond.

Probably the best preparation is to visit the website of a company you will be applying to, and study it as much as possible with an eye towards how you can best serve their needs, then feed that information back to them. It always helps to customize your resume to give them back the functions they are asking for.

Much of this does not apply if you are entry level, then they are looking at your school records, average grade and areas of study.

Here is the USA job functions seem to be very split, in that an embedded engineer will work on either the hardware or the software, not both. Layout of PCB and such is not an engineering function but one of drafting. Test engineering is looked down upon by design engineering, so if you start in a test position you may encounter resistance moving into a design position.