Student in Electronics Technology

Muhammad231

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Hi
I am a student getting his degree in an Associates Electronics Technology, and I graduate this year but I’m worried that I don’t know enough to work in the field.....is there anything that I could do to null that?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Do practical things. Build kits, modify them; design things, build them. Fix things, even if you don't need them—diagnose, troubleshoot, repair, maybe improve.

Practical work, making mistakes and fixing them, is the best thing to add to a degree. If shows you real world applications and forces you to learn on your own by reading, trying, and failing.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Have you played with electronics or just gone to school to learn it?
I was fiddling with electronics long before I knew anything about it. My dad had an old radio that I completely destroyed. Breaking all the valves to see what was in them, and even unwinding the transformers and unwrapping the paper capacitors. He was not amused!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am a student getting his degree in an Associates Electronics Technology, and I graduate this year but I’m worried that I don’t know enough to work in the field.....is there anything that I could do to null that?
Talk to your teachers. In my program, there were only 2 teachers and they also did career guidance and helped us get jobs.

Muhammad231

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Have you played with electronics or just gone to school to learn it?
I was fiddling with electronics long before I knew anything about it. My dad had an old radio that I completely destroyed. Breaking all the valves to see what was in them, and even unwinding the transformers and unwrapping the paper capacitors. He was not amused!
A little bit of both. I never messed with electronics that much but just knew practical basics of computers

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Go to google and search for bio materials manufacturers, bio equipment manufacturers, bio process manufacturers.

Find bio companies within your commute and put in applications. Get your hands dirty. You might not like it. Don't be disappointed, there are many different fields of interest. It might take a few years to really determine what you want to do. Try different things. Don't be afraid to fail. It's fun when your young.

Muhammad231

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Go to google and search for bio materials manufacturers, bio equipment manufacturers, bio process manufacturers.

Find bio companies within your commute and put in applications. Get your hands dirty. You might not like it. Don't be disappointed, there are many different fields of interest. It might take a few years to really determine what you want to do. Try different things. Don't be afraid to fail. It's fun when your young.
I will do that! Thank You

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hi
There is NO substitute for experience. Knowledge gives you a basic how, but only experience (your own, and that provided by others) will give you true _understanding_ of how things behave in electronics. Take what you've learned as mere rudimentary knowledge- and not necessarily accurate. You've been trained to see things in certain ways, not necessarily how things actually work. The downside of today's education practices.

Truthfully electronics is a deep subject and you will spend your entire life learning more about it, if you become serious about it. Not saying you aren't- but without time spent, no one really knows.

Muhammad231

Joined Apr 3, 2019
There is NO substitute for experience. Knowledge gives you a basic how, but only experience (your own, and that provided by others) will give you true _understanding_ of how things behave in electronics. Take what you've learned as mere rudimentary knowledge- and not necessarily accurate. You've been trained to see things in certain ways, not necessarily how things actually work. The downside of today's education practices.

Truthfully electronics is a deep subject and you will spend your entire life learning more about it, if you become serious about it. Not saying you aren't- but without time spent, no one really knows.
Interesting insight, I will definitely reflect on that

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Years ago I went to apply for a job as a biomedical service technician. I was told that before I could even apply that I had to have a 4-year degree in biomedical electronics engineering. Since I already had a 5-year degree in electronics engineering and ten years experience I looked elsewhere, and started designing industrial testing systems used by many companies.
AND, certainly, there is no substitute for experience that produces insight and understanding.
So I suggest that you ask the school to name the names of companies that have hired their graduates and found them adequately prepared. That answer would not come from the teachers, but from a placement person at the school. If the school does not have such a person or such information then I would seriously doubt that they are honest about the completeness of what they are teaching.