Strange Significant Loading on IO pin set as input on CPLD

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
What software are you using? Years ago when I did this. I ran two computers dedicated to FPGA. It would take 4 hours to do a compile (reason for 2 computers) The software used up most of a hard drive.
I had two compilers for CPLDs. MAPLE & (don't remember Started with C___) Very simple!
I will never do parge FPGAs again. I would like to do CPLDs again but cannot afford a full system.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
What software are you using? Years ago when I did this. I ran two computers dedicated to FPGA. It would take 4 hours to do a compile (reason for 2 computers) The software used up most of a hard drive.
I had two compilers for CPLDs. MAPLE & (don't remember Started with C___) Very simple!
I will never do parge FPGAs again. I would like to do CPLDs again but cannot afford a full system.
I am using Xilinx Project Navigator along with Xilinx Impact tool. Xilinx does not have a Windows version of this software so I am running it on a Virtual Linux Box that is running on Windows 10. I would use Vivado but it does not support the CPLD's but only the Virtex and Artix FPGAs. Synthesis takes less than 4 minutes. Programming the chip takes less than 2 minutes.
I have some Artix-7 FPGA modules from Digilent. They are not to bad like 75 bucks. That I program with Vivado. Even on that it does not take more than 10 minutes tops to complete synthesis/fit and generating bit file. I am running a Windows 10 computer which is an 8 Core system:
1649445475708.png
With modern PC's running 64bit OS, synthesis is much faster than in the past.

The software is all free. The most expensive part is the Xilinx Programmer at around 300 bucks 'Platform Cable II USB'. But after you have that you can program any of Xilinx parts via JTAG. The Artix-7 FPGA has a built in Programming port that integrates perfectly with Vivado so for that you don't need a separate programmer.

Another thing I like about the Artix-7 FPGA module from Digilent. You can instantiate a MicroBlaze Processor within the fabric and connect it to your firmware and program it in C or C++ using Vivado.

Last edited:

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I am using Xilinx Project Navigator along with Xilinx Impact tool. Xilinx does not have a Windows version of this software so I am running it on a Virtual Linux Box that is running on Windows 10. I would use Vivado but it does not support the CPLD's but only the Virtex and Artix FPGAs. Synthesis takes less than 4 minutes. Programming the chip takes less than 2 minutes.
I have some Artix-7 FPGA modules from Digilent. They are not to bad like 75 bucks. That I program with Vivado. Even on that it does not take more than 10 minutes tops to complete synthesis/fit and generating bit file. I am running a Windows 10 computer which is an 8 Core system:
View attachment 264589
With modern PC's running 64bit OS, synthesis is much faster than in the past.

The software is all free. The most expensive part is the Xilinx Programmer at around 300 bucks 'Platform Cable II USB'. But after you have that you can program any of Xilinx parts via JTAG. The Artix-7 FPGA has a built in Programming port that integrates perfectly with Vivado so for that you don't need a separate programmer.

Another thing I like about the Artix-7 FPGA module from Digilent. You can instantiate a MicroBlaze Processor within the fabric and connect it to your firmware and program it in C or C++ using Vivado.
are you also on the Xilinx forums ?

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
are you also on the Xilinx forums ?
Not at this point. I work on multiple disciplines from FPGA's/CPLD's. VHDL firmware. Microcontrollers (specifically PIC) in C/C++. PC applications with C# along with analog and digital circuit design. I have problems keeping up with just one Forum (this one). :)