Strange Op Amp Circuit Operation

danielb33

Joined Aug 20, 2012
The circuit below is part of a circuit I am analyzing.

upload_2015-12-22_8-5-48.png

The non inverting terminal has 2.5VDC always.
Note that +5VA is 5 Volts Analog - not AC.
I am confirming that my thoughts are correct.
The circuit operates as follows:
1) Left node of R37 has a voltage less than 2.5V --> op amp output is D21 voltage drop above 2.5 V --> PTRAN is OFF. Circuit is isolated from Q5 collector.
2) Left node of R37 is above 2.5V. Here the op amp will try to reduce the non inverting terminal but cant because of D21.
This causes the output to drop to about -5V causing the PTRAN to turn on - shorting the output of the non inverting terminal to the collector of Q5.

Any issues with my logic? Thanks for the support.

danielb33

Joined Aug 20, 2012
I don't have a problem....yet. I explained how it should operate if I had 2.5V at the non inverting terminal and varies voltage at the left node of R37. I just wanted to make sure my thoughts are correct.
It is not a voltage to current converter unless I am way off. Please explain.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
This causes the output to drop to about -5V causing the PTRAN to turn on - shorting the output of the non inverting terminal to the collector of Q5.
Your analysis is correct except this one: the output of the opamp would be so that the current going through the transistor is the same as the current going through R37, for the 2) scenario. ie. the output current is linear with regards to (V37-2.5)/2.2K.

The diode provide a path for the current for the 1st scenario.

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015