Strange Microphone Sounds

Brad C

Joined Oct 14, 2023
I have an extremely expensive Isomic, which is the microphone created to be compatible with the Isovox booth (which I also own). I bought the mic 1.5 years ago, and never had trouble until this week. Now, for no reason I can discern, the mic is sending a lot of noise to the audio interface, making the levels jump up. It sounds like wind, not static. I tried switching mic cords and interfaces, but they work fine with other microphones, so it is clearly the Isomic that's having the problem. Can anyone guess what would cause this kind of problem? The mic has not been dropped, touched, etc.; in fact, I keep it in the Isovox booth with a bag over it and the booth flap closed when I'm not recording. Thanks in advance!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have an extremely expensive Isomic, which is the microphone created to be compatible with the Isovox booth (which I also own). I bought the mic 1.5 years ago, and never had trouble until this week. Now, for no reason I can discern, the mic is sending a lot of noise to the audio interface, making the levels jump up. It sounds like wind, not static. I tried switching mic cords and interfaces, but they work fine with other microphones, so it is clearly the Isomic that's having the problem. Can anyone guess what would cause this kind of problem? The mic has not been dropped, touched, etc.; in fact, I keep it in the Isovox booth with a bag over it and the booth flap closed when I'm not recording. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to AAC!

I am going to hazard a guess that the internal electronics is faulty, possibly a bad FET or bad capacitor. Is there any way to open it and have a look at the circuitry? The circuit can be rather complex.

1697328237365.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am not familiar with the ISOVOX microphone product, but I have had a rushing wind sound failure in an electronic device several years ago. It would start the sound and then the sound would stop after a while. The device was under an extended warranty and after the second attempt at repair it was replaced instead.
Is any portion of the microphone system wireless, by any chance?
That sounds like an internal noise issue in a semiconductor device. "Diode Noise" is what it sounds like. I am guessing that the microphone has a fair amount of electronics inside, that are probably very compact. One safe way to search for the noisy part is to use freeze spray on one component at a time to see which one makes the noise stop.
It might be less expensive to buy a replacement electronics circuit board than o get it fixed.