Strange bug with a speaker.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
So,

I have a middle age for electronics tv that I use for a monitor for some reason the volume is stuck on even when I turn it all the way down its also stuck on when I mute it. Never had an error like this. Any ideas on what to look for. I may crack it open soon just out of curiosity. For now it works fine but I am not sure what would cause an error like this.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A volume control frequently has its terminals riveted to its resistive track. When the connection to ground becomes loose then there is maximum volume level. The mute switch might be connected to the same poor ground terminal.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Next question: Is this a change in how the set works? Or was it always this way? It makes a lot of sense to me to never turn the volume fully down, but others may not agree.
You did not mention what it is that you are hearing that can not be turned off completely. That may matter.
It might be that the set uses a DC controlled audio gain system, especially if it is stereo, and some portion of the control scheme may have failed.
Also, if you are using it as a video only monitor and the sound input is open, it may well be picking up the audio from a point near the audio input connection.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Next question: Is this a change in how the set works? Or was it always this way? It makes a lot of sense to me to never turn the volume fully down, but others may not agree.
You did not mention what it is that you are hearing that can not be turned off completely. That may matter.
It might be that the set uses a DC controlled audio gain system, especially if it is stereo, and some portion of the control scheme may have failed.
Also, if you are using it as a video only monitor and the sound input is open, it may well be picking up the audio from a point near the audio input connection.

I use it a computer monitor so when like for example I play a video game the music and sound effects in the game will play weather I turn it up to the highest volume or the lowest or mute it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Now the hard question: If this is a TV that you are using as a monitor, does the volume control work when the TV channels are being watched? Are you able to adjust the TV program volume? What inputs are you using, presuming that this is a TV with a video input. Does the TV have multiple inputs available? Where are you trying to adjust the volume? On the computer or on the TV set? Or using a remote control for the TV set?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, this is interesting because the TS is only trying to use a remote to control the volume. A big question now is about the remote even working. AND I have had the problem with a replacement universal remote that would switch the set on and off and not do anything else. And so far no answers to the question of does it change the volume at all.
If the remote is not working then it is probably not a failure of the TV. But no clue about the remote controlling anything else.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
ok to add to the bizarre behavior the problem is gone. An btw it was the original remote that came with the TV. I kid you not I could drop the volume hit mute and the music youtube or what ever I was doing would continue to make play. Now it is working again. never seen anything like this.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have on many occasions come across intermittent buttons in remote control units. So your results are reasonable. I have also come across blocked light paths, rendering the remote non-functional.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
I have on many occasions come across intermittent buttons in remote control units. So your results are reasonable. I have also come across blocked light paths, rendering the remote non-functional.
See that is not what is happening because the animation is working on the screen showing the volume muted or the volume bar go down.