still searching for the one

rcblack79

Joined May 1, 2016
Alright guys i saw this online and the guy if i wanted to add power increase the number of mosfets and diodes, but continueing from my other posts, what would you do use different mosfets and transistors or add more mosfets and diodes. Thanks 50A DC Motor Controller Schematic.png

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
We like to help you but we do not know what you want or aim for.
It's like the question: how long is a piece of rope?
please be precise and tell us what you want to do.
speed, wanted power curve, type of motor and all it's spec's.
Is the load linear or do you have to move an object resulting in a high start current and smoothing out when object start to move or is it the the opposite ?
Is a gearbox present if so specify. (strait, worm and transmission ratio all related to the 'wanted power curve')

rcblack79

Joined May 1, 2016
The esc above is for scooters, go karts, e bikes etc. Its for brushed dc motors it will not fry when apply my external brakes. I can read and assemble this Esc but im not an engineer i will change out the mosfets and transistors just to get more power the motor its rated for is 350 watts it about 50 amps peak ima big boy and i just need more power for this style of esc and i really dont know how to add more mos and trans the this schematic just some more watts and amps. Thanks guys

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The esc above is for scooters, go karts, e bikes etc. Its for brushed dc motors it will not fry when apply my external brakes. I can read and assemble this Esc but im not an engineer i will change out the mosfets and transistors just to get more power the motor its rated for is 350 watts it about 50 amps peak ima big boy and i just need more power for this style of esc and i really dont know how to add more mos and trans the this schematic just some more watts and amps. Thanks guys
Each of those mosfets is rated at 70 A and Rds(on) is 14 mΩ. Your average current ("rating") is only 14.6 A at 24V (about 3 W of heating from resistance). I don't see why you need to beef up that driver.

As for adding additional stages, I have used up to 5 stages of mosfets in parallel to run an old Ford 6 V starter motor at 12 V for a winch. So, if that is what you want to do, I don't see a problem. Edit: But it won't give you more power with that motor.

John

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
It looks like the ESC is moving all the power to the motor so changing anything in it won´t get you more power. The motor is simply not powerful enough for what you want, so you´d better get a bigger motor and maybe bigger batteries.
You could try hooking the motor directly to the battery, if the controller is limiting your power then you would see some difference.

rcblack79

Joined May 1, 2016
Your are correct its just what this particular esc and motor was tested at. I will definitely use a bigger motor a few in fact. I will build it for sure and make adjustment to suit my needs. I have almost 30 years of rc experience scratch made, just looking to do something fun and big. Thanks guys

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Been a long-time RC'er too. The winch I mentioned was for launching sailplanes. Also made a controller of the same basic design for a retriever with a slightly less powerful motor.

John

rcblack79

Joined May 1, 2016
Been a long-time RC'er too. The winch I mentioned was for launching sailplanes. Also made a controller of the same basic design for a retriever with a slightly less powerful motor.

John
The winch idea is bad as@. I was looking at starter motors too. The motor mentioned in the post is not what i want but the style is optimal for the esc. They come in 1500 watts for scooters and go karts and at these levels i just want the esc to run smoothly. Jusy want a lil more power for bigger motors in this class.