Stereo started smoking!!!!!!!

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Replacement is BD243B.

But this is old. Try to get a recent one tht matches the data.

By the way, u shud replace all the capacitors while u are at it. The power amp and the preamp.

Or u could find a transistor u like
I found the NTE331 and the D44H11 so far

I will eventually do a recap on everything, but I dont wanna spend that much money at one time (btw, im only 14 so i aint got much anyway:)

mlog

Joined Feb 11, 2012
If Q706 was shorted and the resistors in its emitter and collector circuit damaged, then the emitter of Q901 likely had a very high negative voltage applied to it, which would have stressed it.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
If Q706 was shorted and the resistors in its emitter and collector circuit damaged, then the emitter of Q901 likely had a very high negative voltage applied to it, which would have stressed it.
Maybe, because I did notice that the speaker cone got pulled in when this happened.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Very high voltage came from where ?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Maybe, because I did notice that the speaker cone got pulled in when this happened.
Speaker will pull in or out when ever DC is applied, it does not need to be high voltage.

When ever there is a fault in an amp, DC will be available at the speaker terminals.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Speaker will pull in or out when ever DC is applied, it does not need to be high voltage.

When ever there is a fault in an amp, DC will be available at the speaker terminals.
Yeah i kno. I just assumed because he stated negative voltage, but it deffinetly wasnt high voltage