Stereo started smoking!!!!!!!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It's Positive lead on a N type and negative lead on a P type.

This way the other lead on C or E will show forward voltage drop.

Negative probe on a N type will reverse bias the junction. and so will a Positive probe on a P type.

In DMM, a positive voltage exists on the positive probe while in an Analog meter Positive voltage exists on the Negative probe

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
oh and another thing, before my stereo started smoking, I'd hear a loud "pop" come out of the speakers every time I "banged" on it, even if the volume was turned all the way down. I don't know if this has anthing to do with it tho.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
oh and another thing, before my stereo started smoking, I'd hear a loud "pop" come out of the speakers every time I "banged" on it, even if the volume was turned all the way down. I don't know if this has anthing to do with it tho.
That sounds like there was a loose connection to the speaker. Every time you "banged" on it, it would disconnect and reconnect, and send a surge of power to the speaker, causing it to "pop".

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
okay well I'm having a hard time trying to upload the manual. the files too large
If you have the manual in a pdf format and it is not locked, you can use adobe reader to take a screen shot of the schematic. Use the tool "take a snapshot" in the edit menu. Highlight the area you want. The area snapshot is then copied. Open up a program like MSPaint and paste the snapshot there. Save as a .png file and upload it here.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
If you have the manual in a pdf format and it is not locked, you can use adobe reader to take a screen shot of the schematic. Use the tool "take a snapshot" in the edit menu. Highlight the area you want. The area snapshot is then copied. Open up a program like MSPaint and paste the snapshot there. Save as a .png file and upload it here.
everytime I try to save it, a message pops up that says that there isn't enough memory or resources.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
I was just testing the four output transistors, and it turns out that one of them is bad. I also think that somebody replaced the original transistors with different ones

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
post all the transistor no.s so I can tell u which one to buy

U can test the biasing without the output transistors. But that is in some amps. I need to see the schematic

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK..Take out or carefully de-solderer the 4 output transistors.

Check for physical damage in the components through out. If u see any smoked one, show me a clear picture of it.

If one output transistor is shorted, it is advisable to replace the other too.

Recently there are better SOA Audio out put devices available. I recommend that u buy those and use them instead of the old ones.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
OK..Take out or carefully de-solderer the 4 output transistors.

Check for physical damage in the components through out. If u see any smoked one, show me a clear picture of it.

If one output transistor is shorted, it is advisable to replace the other too.

Recently there are better SOA Audio out put devices available. I recommend that u buy those and use them instead of the old ones.
srry, ill have to email the pictures to you, because they're too large to post on here