Stereo jack as power cable wiring?!

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
19A0EB46-FAA7-4183-9B32-5B06BB07180A.jpeg
042EB90F-8CE8-4D37-945F-64C8D48FA260.jpeg
hi, i want to use stereo jack (male/female) as a power cable.
What side I should wire the positive/live wire on the stereo jack left or right? I know those are left and right stereo signal and the long pin is the neutral/ground but i want to use it as 12v power cable.
I have wired the female stereo jack the live wire on the right side and also on the stereo male jack and the project i am working on is working fine but i just want to be sure that i wired them correctly so if i am using some none of mine stereo male jack input power cable as is led strip etc that it will work and not short circuiting.,

Moderators note : removed double picture

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
A similar method is to use a switching jack/plug. That is used in model as a very light on/off switch. Usually configured so with the plug inserted, unit is off, and with plug removed unit is on. The plug can also be used for battery charging.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
Long before DC jacks became the norm, it was standard practice to use a 3.5mm mono jack for low voltage power connections.

The advantage of a mono jack is that insertion/withdrawal should not result in a short circuit – but as MrChips warns there is likely to be a momentary short circuit using a stereo jack which may damage the supply.

You could test for this using a multimeter – plugging and unplugging the jack.