Stepper motor Resonance

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
I am a little confused about stepper motor resonance.

All the stuff I read about says to make the stepping faster to decrease it. However, wouldn't making the stepper much slow also fix the issue? Correct me if I am wrong, but of you go to fast, don't you go faster at the expense of torque? Also, don;t you have to limit the amount of current when you go faster as well so you make sure the coils have enough time to "empty" the current? Also, how do you determine your chopper frequency?

Brainbox

Joined Nov 15, 2010
I am a little confused about stepper motor resonance.

All the stuff I read about says to make the stepping faster to decrease it. However, wouldn't making the stepper much slow also fix the issue? Correct me if I am wrong, but of you go to fast, don't you go faster at the expense of torque? Also, don;t you have to limit the amount of current when you go faster as well so you make sure the coils have enough time to "empty" the current? Also, how do you determine your chopper frequency?
What are You trying to say?
Ther are a lot of words but no consistent question.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The essence of the technique is to move "through" the velocity at which the mechanical resonance occurs. So constant acceleration produces a linear ramp in velocity. If the resonance is at 200 steps/sec, you want to go from 150 steps/sec to 250 steps/sec avoiding the 200 steps/sec range.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
You can also microstep to make the stepping much smoother and quieter. Check out your stepper controller to see what microstepping features it has (or doesn't have).

If you try to accelerate the stepping too quickly, especially if the object you're moving has significant inertia to it, the stepper can get stuck. In this case make some changes to the acceleration profile on your stepper controller.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Some people have used a rubber mounted flywheel damper. Also search for a "Rattler". It is a flywheel with captive loose weights in it that rattle when needed to counteract vibrations. They use them on racing engines when a harmonic balancer isn't enough.