Stepdown Transformer

m_np

Joined Mar 13, 2023
Can I use the transformer with part no
for stepdown in power supply board instead of using general purpose transformer

m_np

Joined Mar 13, 2023
It is a flyback transformer designed to work at 200KHz.

DO NOT try to use this for line voltage at 50 or 60Hz.

If you mean this one:

[/QUOTE]
can you Suggest me a transformer part number for power supply adaptor for 12v-5A

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
75va sized transformers are all going to be around the same physical size, Mouser has a selection by Hammond, although 16v, how critical is it, you may have to find one that is close and remove a few turns.
The alternative to go smaller is maybe a SMPS, but even this will not be 'miniature'.
What is the application?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
.I have searched many transformers but all those are huge in size.Is it available minimum size?
No.
The size of a transformer is basically inversely proportional to the frequency for a given power, so the transformers that operate on the mains frequency all have about the same size for the same power rating.
Switching power supplies reduce the size of the magnetics by going to a higher frequency (typically above 20kHz).

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The Spec is 15V and 5A ...I have searched many transformers but all those are huge in size.Is it available minimum size?
That is why no one builds mains transformer power supplies any more. For less money than the transformer, you can buy a good commercial switching supply.

For example

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is why no one builds mains transformer power supplies any more. For less money than the transformer, you can buy a good commercial switching supply.
I never use SMPS if I can help it.
Linears are much more rugged, also most of the stepper drive and servo amp manuf. do not recommend them for thier applications.
I pay a little extra, but get the durability,
Also if you use them for customers, they are happier if they have less break-downs ! :cool:

The market size for low voltage supplies is now so large that the prices for SMPS are incredibly low. See https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSLRKIT-75Watt-Supply-Adapter-100-240V/dp/B01LPKWLNM as an example of a nicely cased 15VDC 5A supply which works from 100 to 240 VAC. The good thing about an external supply is that it can easily be replaced if for some reason it fails, and the equipment itself is only subject to low voltage rules.

m_np

Joined Mar 13, 2023
The application is 12V-5A 60W power supply for led lights.I am going to design it tranditioal way like Stepdown Transformer>Rectification>smoothing>regulation>load. I want stepdown in firststage itself.But I think in smps it is not possible.Is it possible?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The application is 12V-5A 60W power supply for led lights.I am going to design it tranditioal way like Stepdown Transformer>Rectification>smoothing>regulation>load. I want stepdown in firststage itself.But I think in smps it is not possible.Is it possible?
For LED's you don't necessarily require smoothing and/or regulation.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Forget about the "Exact-Voltage".
You need a "Current-Regulator", preferably a "Switch-Mode" Current-Regulator,
then let the Voltage fall where it may, ( as long as it's not too crazy out of hand ).

This Circuit can handle as much as ~60-Peak-Volts,
and can easily be adjusted to any Current-Level You desire ..........
A simple AC to DC Converter,
which is capable of supplying "more than enough" Voltage and Current,
will work just fine.
You will need to consult the Spec-Sheet for your LEDs to determine the ideal amount of Current.
High-Power LEDs, ( more than approximately ~50mA ), will need a Heat-Sink.

What is the part-number of your LEDs ?, or please supply the Spec-Sheet-PDF File.
18-LED Current Source .png.

For LED's you don't necessarily require smoothing and/or regulation.
What is the part-number of your LEDs ?, or please supply the Spec-Sheet-PDF File.
LED's can be "overdriven" with a PWM signal as long as the average power doesn't lead to thermal runaway. It would be good to know the specification of the LEDs you plan to use and the quantity. Assuming you have adequate heat sinks, it might be helpful to raise your secondary voltage to 24V AC putting more LEDs in series in a serial/parallel set up. You could then use a 555 astable to adjust the brightness by changing the mark/space ratio with a potentiometer and turning on the series strings with MOSFETS. Whilst you should dump some power with a resistor in series with each string, switching the strings on and off quickly is the most efficient way to control brightness. The 555 frequency needs to be significantly larger than mains frequency to avoid visible changes in brightness.