Steam trough

Simon Tuxford

Joined Jun 30, 2017
Hi everyone hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction with this.

I have a requirement for a steam trough that will need to constantly generate steam and I have been talking with local businesses but aren't able to get a complete overview of what is required and how to go about constructing it.

I have a stainless steel trough that is 820 mm long by 200 mm wide by 250 mm deep approximately 40 Liters (9 Gallons) which I can get a constant water feed to without any problems and am looking at a 15kW 400V Immersion Element that is 750 mm in length.

The area that I am having trouble is how to build in some safety. I understand that I would need some sort of thermostat and will need some method of supplying water so it doesn't run dry and also don't want it to be constantly adding water only when it reaches a certain level should it fill the tank again. So what I am hoping for is some help to understand exactly what it is that I need and how to go about building it.

Thank you for your time reading this and really look forward to getting some help.

Thanks,
Simon.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A Smart Relay should fit the bill for this project, but a little more information on the equipment, normally an immersion heater has a built in thermostat, but that is a big one!
Max.

Simon Tuxford

Joined Jun 30, 2017
A Smart Relay should fit the bill for this project, but a little more information on the equipment, normally an immersion heater has a built in thermostat, but that is a big one!
Max.
Actually reading more information it would appear the following element would be better suited and could be quicker at bringing the water to temp.

8mm 7200W 415V Immersion 2in BSP BJC50C000

However the only information that I seem to be able to find on this is the following:

BJC50 Series: 235V Elements with 77.5kW/m2 Sheath Loading
Medium Watts density elements for use in water heating type applications. suited to 235V single phase or 415V/235V 3 phase connection using either tied or floating neutral.

Part # BJC50C000
Wattage 7200W
Penetration 730mm
Wired@235V Series 800W

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I worked with making super heated steam which involved a steam generator which used over temperature and pressure sensing including not only electronic pressure sensing but additionally pressure burst disk vented to the outside world. The steam was then heated in a retort of stainless steel tubing as it exited the steam generator. Water chemistry was also checked as we did not want any chemical corrosion. Anyway, as Max suggest a Smart Relay would likely take care of the electronics but I would also consider a mechanical pressure relief valve followed by a mechanical burst disk as a safety feature. A steam explosion or steam generator explosion is pretty ugly.

Ron

Simon Tuxford

Joined Jun 30, 2017
I worked with making super heated steam which involved a steam generator which used over temperature and pressure sensing including not only electronic pressure sensing but additionally pressure burst disk vented to the outside world. The steam was then heated in a retort of stainless steel tubing as it exited the steam generator. Water chemistry was also checked as we did not want any chemical corrosion. Anyway, as Max suggest a Smart Relay would likely take care of the electronics but I would also consider a mechanical pressure relief valve followed by a mechanical burst disk as a safety feature. A steam explosion or steam generator explosion is pretty ugly.

Ron
Thanks Ron.

The unit that I am building has an open grate so it won't build any pressure in the system. It is needed to generate steam in a room to make it is moist and high humidity.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
How large is the room.......and what's in there to Remove moisture? In other words.....what is the humidity demand?

Simon Tuxford

Joined Jun 30, 2017
How large is the room.......and what's in there to Remove moisture? In other words.....what is the humidity demand?
The room is 35m3 with the humidity between 80 and 90%. The idea that I had to keep things simple was to put a digital temperature meter on the wall outside the room and they can control it by turning the heater on and off manually.

The room is used often and they go in and out of it several times through out the day, so there won't be much of a build up of moisture.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The unit that I am building has an open grate so it won't build any pressure in the system. It is needed to generate steam in a room to make it is moist and high humidity.
Oh OK, then we don't have some of the big safety issues as with a steam generator. Worked with environmental chambers where we made high humidity and controlled it using humidity sensors. You are sort of making a steam bath. :)
There are ultrasonic type humidity generators or the traditional steam works fine. Temperature sensing is easy with any of a dozen turn key systems out there. There are also solutions which BR-549 mentions.

Ron