steady DC signal measurement changes when I change volts/div.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Mines exactly the same
Your scope may have a feature that allows changing where 0V is on screen. On my scope, if I ground the input (via the AC/GND/DC toggles), I can set 0V to the bottom of the graticle (or wherever I want).

Also, if I have 0V off screen and change ranges, the offset changes if it exceeded the maximum offset for that range.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
?? Thought peak to peak but never payed attention :/
From the pictures in your post and Jony130, they appear to be resolution. My scope doesn't display resolution on screen. It's in the manual or I can adjust the trace to find the smallest delta for that range.

Mrdouble

Joined Aug 13, 2012
I downloaded a manual. It is peak-to-peak. When you're measuring a DC signal, it shows range resolution.
Lol. Your bad ass. Thank you. I don't know if it's adjustable. Guess I better download manual :/ it came with a 13 page pamphlet which pretty much junk

Mrdouble

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Your scope may have a feature that allows changing where 0V is on screen. On my scope, if I ground the input (via the AC/GND/DC toggles), I can set 0V to the bottom of the graticle (or wherever I want).

Also, if I have 0V off screen and change ranges, the offset changes if it exceeded the maximum offset for that range.
Wow. I would like that. Guess I'll have to do some digging

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Wow. I would like that. Guess I'll have to do some digging
For fun, I set my vertical offset so 0V was 1V below the bottom of the graticle. When I measured the 4V calibrator output, the digital readout was 4V (+/- range resolution) on the 5V, 2V, 1V, and 500mV per division ranges. Once I went to 200mV/div, the displayed voltage was no longer on screen and was incorrect.

This isn't a defect because scopes are intended for waveform measurement and you can't measure a waveform you can't see...

My scope is 40 years old, so you'd expect newer ones to have more bells and whistles. But mine was designed by an innovator in oscilloscopes and the engineers knew their stuff. The 7D20 uses some tricks to give a higher bandwidth than you'd expect from ADCs from that era.

Mrdouble

Joined Aug 13, 2012
For fun, I set my vertical offset so 0V was 1V below the bottom of the graticle. When I measured the 4V calibrator output, the digital readout was 4V (+/- range resolution) on the 5V, 2V, 1V, and 500mV per division ranges. Once I went to 200mV/div, the displayed voltage was no longer on screen and was incorrect.

This isn't a defect because scopes are intended for waveform measurement and you can't measure a waveform you can't see...

My scope is 40 years old, so you'd expect newer ones to have more bells and whistles. But mine was designed by an innovator in oscilloscopes and the engineers knew their stuff. The 7D20 uses some tricks to give a higher bandwidth than you'd expect from ADCs from that era.
The thought had crossed my mind that the signal had to be on screen. I promptly disregarded the thought but did notice that the calculations only appeared when signal was on screen