Status of Motor "ON" or "OFF"

How to check status of a 12V dc motor that it is running or it is stopped.?

• circuit

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • sensor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ahmed Zafar Khan

Joined Feb 18, 2016
How to check status of a 12V dc motor that it is running or it is stopped.?
Please tell me that any sensor, any circuit or any other device which I can use to check my motor current status.
I am working on a "conveyor belt operational interlocking using atmega32" project for my semester. The main objective of project is "operational interlocking".

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What do you want to detect?
Do you want movement of the shaft of the motor to be detected?
Do you want to detect the movement of the conveyor belt?

Bertus

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If you need to "check my motor current status" then you best check the current thru your motor.

Hall sensor, restive sensor such as a high line sensor (Google these terms), whatever.

Measure the current then you know what the current is.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Another solution is a slotted disc on the shaft and a slot-opto device, this is how many of the treadmill motors detect it.
If it is constant rpm and fairly high rate, a 1 or 2 slot wheel would suffice.
Max.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The sensors require proper placement or alignment to work accurately, to avoid this Is there any other way to check the motor running or stopped.?
Yes. READ THE CURRENT thru the motor.

For a given voltage the current when free running will be less than the current with some mechanical load, which is less than the current when the motor is stalled.

Ahmed Zafar Khan

Joined Feb 18, 2016
Thank you all.
I tried with the coding but did not get good results using ACS712 5A. Might be it was some coding problem. Now I have used some relay to detect the current flowing or not.

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Thank you all.
I tried with the coding but did not get good results using ACS712 5A. Might be it was some coding problem. Now I have used some relay to detect the current flowing or not.

I have successfully used ACS712 5A, 20A and 30A sensors with PIC microcontrollers and mikroC PRO PIC to read both AC and DC currenct. If you are interested I will share my code. I can write a code for you if you are using PIC or AVR micocontrollers.

Reading the current through the motor circuit will be the best, simpler and easiest method to detect if motor is running or not.