Starting out with microcontrollers

skajay

Joined Feb 14, 2008
I am a layman know very little about electronics. I would like to lern about micro controllers. is it possible? whre from I get the correct basics?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I ahev changed the title of your thread so that people have a better idea of what you are asking.

I am a layman know very little about electronics. I would like to lern about micro controllers. is it possible?
Yes of course it is.

whre from I get the correct basics?
Have you selected a microcontroller you are interesting in starting with? Here is a thread detailing some of the merits of two types, the AVR and the PIC. There are others but without knowing what your application focus is, it is difficult to make any specific recommendations in this regard.

If you give us a few idea about what you are looking at doing then we can make some more concrete suggestions.

Dave

Tristy-Poo

Joined Feb 12, 2008
hi

just thought i'd reply with another idea too...

There are also PICAXE microcontrollers that are much easier to program than PICs.. and you can prob tell there an adaption of the PIC from the name.

but..
You don't need to buy a programmer as you can hook them straight up to a serial port, with a few resistors. All the software and example programs are free to download too. They are also very good if your just starting out with programming and don't want anything too complex.

you can get more info on these at www.Picaxe.co.uk

good luck
Trist

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
In addition to the excellent references that have been provided thus far, you may want to review the basic introductory material contained in this tutorial .

hgmjr