Starting a PCB project from zero

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hello,

I'm designing a DC motor controller board. I want to know what program is recommended for the PCB layout. I want a program that supports LQFP64 and LQFP144 (and others) packages because I will use an STM32 MCU. Previously I worked with Proteus, and I sucessfully made a PCB, generated gerber file and then manufactured the PCB abroad. It was just the board with the holes, that is, without the components.

I think Proteus won't help me this time. I've heard about Altium Designer, a professional software, but I think I have to purchase a license to use it properly. I want other professionals alternatives. Also, I would like to know what industry works with PCB manufacturing. In my country, there aren't these kind of industries, so I have to order it abroad. This time I don't want the board with just the holes, I want the entire prototype with the components. What industry might do this? and not so expensive.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
KiCad is free and recommended by many. It is impressive, but I have not used it. Eagle still has a free version and I have used it or the purchased version for many years. It is now subscription, which I refuse to do. The biggest complaint about Eagle is its user interface. I had no problem with that, but some people do. The interface is basically Windows, but you have a very powerful command line control too. Sort of like early Windows and DOS shells. If you decide on Eagle, try to get a version before 8.0 (i.e., pre-subscription). So far as I know, KiCad doesn't present those concerns. Go for the most recent version.

Speaking with reference to Eagle, but probably applicable to other programs, making chip packages is rarely a problem. They are usually there already or something that is easily modified is there. If not, I use a real 2D CAD program to design them if they are really complicated, and then import into Eagle. Most of the time, setting the grid properly will make designing a new package very easy. Some people get hung up on making new symbols and think they have to be something electronically related to what they are doing. They do not. All you need are the right number of pins and a name.

John

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I'm one of those people who thinks the Eagle interface is absolutely dreadful. I'm a very happy DipTrace user. We've got the most basic pro version (I forget the names of the levels, but I think it was somewhere in the $50-80 range) at work, and I use the free version for personal projects at home. I think it's plenty powerful, and it's a joy to work with.

As for part footprints, or land patterns, all of the programs mentioned will have generic pad layouts for common components, but I would strongly encourage you to edit or create your own versions of all components after looking at the recommendations from the part's datasheet. The built-in footprints are often wrong. The only project I ever did in Eagle turned out to be very difficult for our assembly house to work with, because the 0402 resistor patterns were totally wrong, looking essentially like 0603 patterns. Don't assume any parts built into these programs are accurate - most of them will be fine, but you should always check.

As for assembly work, I've got an order being produced at ALLPCB right now. I've used then twice before for PCBs, which all worked out quite well. This is the first time having them do SMT assembly work. I should have parts by the end of next week. I'll try to remember to report back once I see how those boards come out. The prices are amazing - a small fraction of what it would cost having local companies do the same work, but of course it's only a good value if the quality is still there, so we'll just have to see. If the assembled boards come out as well as the earlier raw PCB projects, then it'll be a great deal.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I'm one of those people who thinks the Eagle interface is absolutely dreadful. I'm a very happy DipTrace user. We've got the most basic pro version (I forget the names of the levels, but I think it was somewhere in the $50-80 range) at work, and I use the free version for personal projects at home. I think it's plenty powerful, and it's a joy to work with.

As for part footprints, or land patterns, all of the programs mentioned will have generic pad layouts for common components, but I would strongly encourage you to edit or create your own versions of all components after looking at the recommendations from the part's datasheet. The built-in footprints are often wrong. The only project I ever did in Eagle turned out to be very difficult for our assembly house to work with, because the 0402 resistor patterns were totally wrong, looking essentially like 0603 patterns. Don't assume any parts built into these programs are accurate - most of them will be fine, but you should always check.

As for assembly work, I've got an order being produced at ALLPCB right now. I've used then twice before for PCBs, which all worked out quite well. This is the first time having them do SMT assembly work. I should have parts by the end of next week. I'll try to remember to report back once I see how those boards come out. The prices are amazing - a small fraction of what it would cost having local companies do the same work, but of course it's only a good value if the quality is still there, so we'll just have to see. If the assembled boards come out as well as the earlier raw PCB projects, then it'll be a great deal.
Update on the ALLPCB order I mentioned earlier:

Everything looks great! Less than 3 weeks from when we placed the order until we had fully assembled boards in our hands, for about $40/board. I don't have a good enough eye to be super particular about solder joint quality or other tiny details, but everything works perfectly, the dimensional tolerances for physical fit are great, and the customer service was great.

Only very minor complaint is that website resources for placing a complete assembly order were a little unclear. Once I started communicating with a service rep via email, everything was good. The web based resources for ordering raw PCBs are fully functional, but it seems to me like you need to work with someone in order to get the details, parts pricing, and accurate lead time estimate for assembly orders.

I don't expect to have a lot of SMT assembly projects like this one, but I'll definitely use ALLPCB again when I do.

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Update on the ALLPCB order I mentioned earlier:

Everything looks great! Less than 3 weeks from when we placed the order until we had fully assembled boards in our hands, for about $40/board. I don't have a good enough eye to be super particular about solder joint quality or other tiny details, but everything works perfectly, the dimensional tolerances for physical fit are great, and the customer service was great.

Only very minor complaint is that website resources for placing a complete assembly order were a little unclear. Once I started communicating with a service rep via email, everything was good. The web based resources for ordering raw PCBs are fully functional, but it seems to me like you need to work with someone in order to get the details, parts pricing, and accurate lead time estimate for assembly orders.

I don't expect to have a lot of SMT assembly projects like this one, but I'll definitely use ALLPCB again when I do.
Great. Thank you